French designer Paul Coudamy of art collective Elegangz has created these wooden shoes for footwear brand K-Swiss.
Coudamy describes the project as a "temporal contraction in which the Swiss country shoe of 19th century is crossed with the urban shoe of the 20th century."
The shoes are hand-carved and produced in a limited edition of 25.
Photographs © Benjamin Boccas
Here's some more information from Coudamy:
design by Paul Coudamy,
25-pair limited edition of wooden sneakers by Paul Coudamy for K-SWISS, hand-sculpted and numbered.
The starting point of reflexion and creation for a K-Swiss design was to ask the sneackers’s original essence to propose an unique prototype.
The concept of Woodwalk is founded on a principle of distortion, a temporal contraction in which the Swiss country shoe of 19th century is crossed with the urban shoe of the 20th century and a space contraction.
We can find this process in the conception. In fact, Woodwalk’s design is created by computer and permit a matchless precision of the drawing. Woodwalk is a craft production, means that every model are hand-sculpted in wood. Woodwalk is a critical design.
With the reinterpretation of the usual sneaker which is a city dweller’s symbol, Woodwalk changes the codes of the traditional sneaker. This meeting deals with the confrontation between the sens of sneaker and the natural matter of wood. A part of Woodwalk’s concept is to ask the meaning of walking in the city and to invite people reconsidering the urban lifestyles.
More Dezeen stories about Paul Coudamy:
- Door reinvented with folding mechanism b…y Klemens Torggler
- José Collection by Mauricio Arruda
- Foldboat by Max Frommeld and Arno Mathie…s
- Alberto Biagetti and Laura Baldassari up…holster gym equipment with fur and leather
- Beyond the Body by Imme van der Haak at …Show RCA 2012
- Animal Tables by Hella Jongerius
- Those speakers at last
- Nika Zupanc bases furniture collection f…or Sé on "an imaginary private sports club"
- Cloud Installation by Mason Studio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories