New York designers Boym Partners have created History Chess, a wooden chess set with 32 unique carved figures, each representing a historic moment or icon from the last century.
Objects represented include the Titanic, VW Beetle and Coca-Cola bottle.
The sets are produced in a limited edition of eight and include a four by four foot chess board.
The information below is from Boym:
Boym Editions: History Chess
The history of the last century has often been compared to a chess game, with political systems, brands, and artistic movements jousting for world dominance. Each figure in our monumental chess set alludes to a particular icon of the century’s troubled history, from the sinking Titanic to the scarred towers of the World Trade Centre. The Space Shuttle, Coca-Cola bottle, Unanbomber Cabin and VW Beetle – are all here. Essentially our chess set is a collection of 32 different sculptures. Their display changes instantly, according to the progress of the game.
The oversized chess pieces, hand-carved in Indonesia as per the Boym’s exact specifications, are set on a monumental 4’ X 4’ foot chess board, which also serves as a box for the chess. History Chess is made in a signed and numbered edition of 8. Price is available upon request.
- Les Cascadeurs installation by Laurent G…ongora interrupts the flow of a waterfall
- Marvin Reber's Inclusion Couch dismantle…s to create an indoor playground
- FID celebrates native Italian material w…ith Terracotta Everyday collection
- Brigitte Coremans at My Way talks
- Ceramic Speaker by Nendo
- Kawamura Ganjavian designs Kangaroo Ligh…t for the bottom of your bag
- Shan Valla at The Temporium
- Rise & Shine by Hunting & Narud
- Living Wood by Matali Crasset
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories