New York designers Boym Partners have created History Chess, a wooden chess set with 32 unique carved figures, each representing a historic moment or icon from the last century.
Objects represented include the Titanic, VW Beetle and Coca-Cola bottle.
The sets are produced in a limited edition of eight and include a four by four foot chess board.
The information below is from Boym:
Boym Editions: History Chess
The history of the last century has often been compared to a chess game, with political systems, brands, and artistic movements jousting for world dominance. Each figure in our monumental chess set alludes to a particular icon of the century’s troubled history, from the sinking Titanic to the scarred towers of the World Trade Centre. The Space Shuttle, Coca-Cola bottle, Unanbomber Cabin and VW Beetle – are all here. Essentially our chess set is a collection of 32 different sculptures. Their display changes instantly, according to the progress of the game.
The oversized chess pieces, hand-carved in Indonesia as per the Boym’s exact specifications, are set on a monumental 4’ X 4’ foot chess board, which also serves as a box for the chess. History Chess is made in a signed and numbered edition of 8. Price is available upon request.
- Too Beautiful To Be True by Meike Harde
- Advances in digital interfaces will lead… to a "new beginning in music"
- Ripple table by Benjamin Hubert
- International Biennial of Graphic Design… in Brno
- Ron Arad: Restless at the Barbican
- Eemeli and Betty by Lincoln Kayiwa
- Moooi's new photorealistic carpets could… give designers "a new kind of freedom"
- ThisWay by Torkel Dohmers
- Numen/For Use creates inhabitable "corpo…real" installation with sticky tape
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories