Dutch architects Studio Klink, production company Illuminate, artist Matthias Oostrik and design and construction firm Cube have collaborated under the name Urban Alliance to create Moodwall, a subway installation in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
The 24 metre long display is made from 2500 LEDs behind a ribbed, semi-transparent wall.
"The resolution is stretched horizontally so images appear to be in better focus from the side," say the designers. "This enables the screen to be watched from outside the tunnel, and deters people from using the tunnel as a hangout spot. "
Here's some information from Urban Alliance:
Media architecture collective Urban Alliance has recently finished the Moodwall: a 24 metre long interactive light installation in Amsterdam. The Moodwall is located in a pedestrian tunnel and interacts with people passing by, improving the atmosphere in the tunnel and making people feel happier and safer. The interactive urban wallpaper is made from 2500 LEDs behind a ribbed semi-transparent wall. The curves in the wall make it less vulnerable to graffiti and improve visibility.
The Moodwall is a pilot project for a 70 metre long media wall proposal by Urban Alliance (in collaboration with Daan Hartoog) which won a competition for ideas to improve the public space of the socially unsafe area of the Amsterdam Bijlmer.
The Moodwall was designed by Jasper Klinkhamer (Studio Klink) in collaboration with Remco Wilcke (Cube), who was also responsible for the construction. The content was developed by Hans van Helden and Matthijs ten Berge of Illuminate in collaboration with artist Matthias Oostrik and students of the Dutch art academy HKU.
- The Unseen creates "coded couture" to re…ad wearers' auras
- UFO over Gdansk by Peter Coffin and Cini…mod Studio
- Dynasty Revival by Lane Crawford
- Design Indaba videos: Doung Anwar Jahang…eer
- Espresso Solo by Shmuel Linski
- Sounds of Threads music visualisation us…ing strands of wool by Bertrand Lanthiez
- Wonderwater Cafe at Tian Hai by Jane Wit…hers, Kari Korkman and Aalto University
- Dezeen and Paul Cocksedge present Change… the Record at Concrete
- Student project creates template for tur…ning old tyres into footwear
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories