Based on an ancient technique once used to make armour, the process involves stretching leather around moulds before immersing it in boiling water.
For this new collection, the rigid shapes are then finished with gold and palladium.
The exhibition is called small show HUGE TALENT and continues until Sunday.
Here's some text from the designer:
This new series of pieces for Hasan's growing Vase Family combines the crude and ancient process of boiling leather (cuir bouilli) with the refinement of oil-gilding. The leather vases are based on the forms of antique wine bottles, and incorporate hand-gilded blocks of 22.75 carat gold and palladium (a precious metal in the platinum family).
This series of vases demonstrates a more sophisticated level of detail and finish, which builds on Hasan's first collection of leather vases, exhibited at the Royal College of Art in 2008.
small show HUGE TALENT
Sotheby's, Kiddell Gallery
New Bond Street
More about Simon Hasan on Dezeen:
- Artek revives Alvar Aalto products for l…atest furniture collection
- Peter Marigold's cabinets "bleed" as ste…el reacts with tannin
- Plants bloom on Mischer'Traxler's table …for Perrier-Jouët when you move away from it
- Dezeen archive: hair
- Oskar Zieta at DMY Berlin
- Earthquake Proof Table by Arthur Brutter…and Ido Bruno
- Prada Prototypes auction by AMO
- Road Workers and White Liners by Josh Bi…telli
- New silver-faced Vigorelli by Matteo Rag…ni at Dezeen Watch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories