Based on an ancient technique once used to make armour, the process involves stretching leather around moulds before immersing it in boiling water.
For this new collection, the rigid shapes are then finished with gold and palladium.
The exhibition is called small show HUGE TALENT and continues until Sunday.
Here's some text from the designer:
This new series of pieces for Hasan's growing Vase Family combines the crude and ancient process of boiling leather (cuir bouilli) with the refinement of oil-gilding. The leather vases are based on the forms of antique wine bottles, and incorporate hand-gilded blocks of 22.75 carat gold and palladium (a precious metal in the platinum family).
This series of vases demonstrates a more sophisticated level of detail and finish, which builds on Hasan's first collection of leather vases, exhibited at the Royal College of Art in 2008.
small show HUGE TALENT
Sotheby's, Kiddell Gallery
New Bond Street
More about Simon Hasan on Dezeen:
- Umbrellas by Ella Doran at Dezeen Super …Store
- Jean Paul Gaultier x Melissa
- FALT.series by Tim Mackerodt
- Knitted tree and creatures by Donna Wils…on for the Stepney Green Design Collection
- Church Street Bench by Bahbak Hashemi-Ne…zhad
- Foglie by Matali Crasset for Pallucco
- Dezeen Screen: The Solar Sinter by Marku…s Kayser
- Tom Dixon to unveil accessories with liv…e "factory" at Maison & Objet
- Torsten Neeland creates wooden framework… for new Yohji Yamamoto collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories