Based on an ancient technique once used to make armour, the process involves stretching leather around moulds before immersing it in boiling water.
For this new collection, the rigid shapes are then finished with gold and palladium.
The exhibition is called small show HUGE TALENT and continues until Sunday.
Here's some text from the designer:
This new series of pieces for Hasan's growing Vase Family combines the crude and ancient process of boiling leather (cuir bouilli) with the refinement of oil-gilding. The leather vases are based on the forms of antique wine bottles, and incorporate hand-gilded blocks of 22.75 carat gold and palladium (a precious metal in the platinum family).
This series of vases demonstrates a more sophisticated level of detail and finish, which builds on Hasan's first collection of leather vases, exhibited at the Royal College of Art in 2008.
small show HUGE TALENT
Sotheby's, Kiddell Gallery
New Bond Street
More about Simon Hasan on Dezeen:
- London Lashes by Paperself at Dezeen Sup…er Store
- Astrium space jet by Marc Newson
- Self Expiring packaging by Kanupriya and… Gautam Goel
- Iga by Damian Kozlik
- Stellar by Tokujin Yoshioka at Swarovski… Crystal Palace
- Golran launches optical illusion rugs by… Raw Edges
- Sybille Paulsen creates jewellery for ca…ncer patients using their own hair
- Frame Sofa by Hyung Suk Cho
- “Milan is a breeding ground for people… who copy our products”
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories