Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Measure calendar by Hiroyuki Miyake
- SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills by Philippe S…tarck
- Container lamp by Benjamin Hubert for Li…gne Roset
- Mutagenesis by Arne Quinze
- Ladder Coat Rack by Yenwen Tseng
- Lisbon Christmas Lights by Pedro Sottoma…yor, José Adrião and ADOC
- Upside Down by TAF for Hay
- Spring Table by Tb & Ajakay
- Lazy Bastard by Bertjan Pot for Montis
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories