Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Drawstring Lamp by Design Stories and Re…turhuset
- Interview with Nick Regan of Laikingland
- Kyuhyung Cho creates colourful three-sid…ed shelves for Menu
- Jambox by Yves Béhar
- Pylons of the Future Dancing with Nature… by Hugh Dutton Associés
- Ronny by Daniel Böttcher for Formverlei…h at Dezeen Super Store
- Fly Factory produces insect pate that "t…astes like chicken"
- Vue by fuseproject and Issey Miyake
- Morph folding wheel by Vitamins Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories