Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Creatures, Corona and Pacis by Nigel Coa…tes for Slamp
- Marsotto Edizioni
- Dezeen Watch Store: VOID steel bracelet …by David Ericsson for VOID
- Interview with Matthew Hilton
- Carl Hansen & Søn delves into its archi…ves for Colonial furniture collection
- Dezeen Podcast: Colin Forbes remembering… Alan Fletcher at the Design Museum
- Benoît Malta's Passive Behaviours furni…ture collection encourages movement
- Toyo Ito for Yamagiwa
- ROC Apeldoorn reception area by Tjep.
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories