Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Fountain Hacks by LIKEarchitects and Ric…ardo Dourado
- Myto chair by Konstantin Grcic
- New Pinterest board: Swedish design
- Dezeen Watch Store: further reductions o…n Alessi watches in our end of summer sale
- Shop&Show by Tracey Neuls
- Lighting has "passed from electricity in…to electronics" says Piero Gandini of Flos
- Chubby by Marcel Wanders
- Ron Arad: Restless - "I can't stay still… in one place for too long"
- Veuve Clicquot Out of the Box in Milan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories