Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Two supports connect beneath Eric Jourda…n's Gilda table
- Dezeen Screen: VUE watch by Yves Behar
- More from Design Academy Eindhoven gradu…ation show 2007
- Urban Picnic by Gareth Neal
- Autumn Winter 2013 capsule collection by… Aina Beck
- “Milan is a breeding ground for people… who copy our products”
- Woodware by Max Lamb at Gallery Fumi
- Light Shadows by Zero and Orrefors Kosta… Boda
- 4foldlow by George Rice for Formtank
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories