Icelandic designer Jón Björnsson has designed a range of vases made of volcanic sand.
Called Flower Eruption, the angular forms are cast from paper moulds.
"The sand is mixed with resin and the mould is filled from the bottom," explains Björnsson. "After the resin dries the mould is torn off and the finished vase appears."
The vases were on display at DesignMarch festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, last month as part of an event where 30 product designers created installations in recently abandoned spaces on Laugavegur, the city’s main shopping street.
- Jeremy Maxwell Wintrebert exhibits blo…wn-glass "clouds" at Gallery Fumi
- Andrée Putman for Gaia&Gino
- Soundchaser by Yuri Suzuki
- Movie: Quiet Motion installation by Ro…nan and Erwan Bouroullec
- Bronze Poly Chair by Max Lamb
- Matteo Fogale and Laetitia de Allegri …present furniture made from old jeans, paper and cotton
- Shokki by Laurent Corio
- Dezeen Platform: Jan Rose
- Rock Series by Arik Levy at Design Mia…mi/Basel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories