The 1.8 metre high lamp is made of notched and pegged timber strips and has two cast-iron counter weights.
See all our stories from Milan 09 in our special category.
Here's some info from Moooi:
The Brave New World Lamp started as a concept piece of random thought-initiated construction. Following the example of old Far Eastern bamboo scaffolding the Brave New World Lamp was developed without a design or plan in place however each piece of wood is carefully notched and pegged together to form an integral part of the overall mechanical structure. The limitations of using small pieces of wood to create a large form allowed the design process to be as responsive as possible. Much like a sculptures’ relationship to their material.
Designer: Fresh West
Year of design: 2009
Material: Oak frame and cast Iron balancing weights
Additional: Hinges must be operated together with both hands for stability.
Detailing: The construction of the Brave New World Lamp also has two special weights made in cast-iron.
- Energy Bucket by Stefano Merlo
- Dressed Up Furniture by KAMKAM
- Color Reform Spectrum Edition by ABC Car…pet & Home
- V&A's What is Luxury? exhibition questio…ns the value of objects
- Foster + Partners combines the cruising …yacht with the day boat to create Alen 68 vessel
- Marc Thorpe reimagines garden vine to cr…eate steel table
- University of Naples Metro Station by Ka…rim Rashid
- Houdini Chair by Stefan Diez for e15
- Save £50 on VOID watches at Dezeen Watc…h Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories