Milan 09: unable to afford to travel to Milan this year, British designer Karen Ryan has created installations of her work in friends' houses in Portsmouth, England.
Ryan will be publishing photos of her installations on her Flickr photostream during the furniture fair in Milan this week.
See all our stories from Milan 09 in our special category.
Here's some text from Ryan:
Karen Ryan Milan 2009 Exhibition in a room in Portsmouth England.
As most of the design community rushes to Milan I walk round to my neighbours living room in Portsmouth England, this is where my Milan 2009 exhibitions are being held this year.
I would like to say my green credentials led me not to fly, but this is not the case.
I would like to say that I am stating a point about excess in design [yet more new objects to buy and fill the world with] but this is not the case.
I simply could not afford to go to Milan this year but necessity breeds invention as I make do and mend and load the exhibition images on to my flickr, perhaps inadvertently capturing some of the more poignant gestures about excess in design upheld through circumstances rather than fashion or ego.
More Dezeen stories about Karen Ryan:
- Head-in by Magma Architecture
- Adidas launches Springblade Razor traine…rs with soles made of curved pads
- I was a teenager in the... by Fandango P…rojects
- Interview: Joseph Grima at Dezeen Studio
- More images of Fukasawa's Ideal House
- Pernilla shoes by Cat Potter
- Global Edition by Bernhardt Design and D…anerka
- Alicja Prussakowska's Tilia coat stand r…esembles upended wooden skis
- Melvin the Machine by HEYHEYHEY
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories