The furniture is made of laminated, corrugated cardboard, assembled using housing joints.
Mathies designed the table while studying at ECAL (University of art and design Lausanne) in Switzerland.
Photos by Michel Bonvin.
See all our stories from Milan 09 in our special category.
Here's some text from Mathies:
Project name: Gruff
Gruff is mountable and dismountable furniture using 15mm corrugated cardboard. Gruff exists in two versions, an inexpensive all in cardboard version, and a black and white printed version with a glass table top.
Both versions explore the various properties of the material and the structure is composed of two elements repeated twice, that are assembled using housing joints and require no screws. The table top is the final element which guarantees the stability of the whole object.
Considering the choice of material and the method of fabrication, the user can either consider his table as a disposable object or a permanent piece of furniture for household or office use. Gruff is a response to the paradox of a society focused on increasing consumption while trying to achieve sustainable development.
- Sire by Aekae and Swisshorn
- Light Bulb Packaging by Olivia Cheung
- Press Lamp by Nendo for Lasvit
- Tyvek World by Luis Eslava and Diego Ram…os
- Rugs in Plaça de la Virreina by Nanimar…quina
- Jonas Wagell designs Concrete Lamp for M…enu
- Max Cooper's Origins music video explore…s the emergence of life
- Storyboard by Jan Van Hoof
- Village by Jasper Morrison for Kettal
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories