Antrobus developed the project while looking for domestic applications for products of the British steel industry; each item in the collection is made of standard, 18 inch sections of ground flat stock - high quality steel normally used for industrial applications like dies, tools and machine blades.
To make the cutting tools, Antrobus twists each length of steel to make a handle and sharpens one edge of the steel into a blade.
The collection includes two pairs of scissors, a T-square, craft knife and tape dispenser.
New Designers continues until Sunday.
Here's some text from Antrobus:
All the stationery items are made from standard 18 inch sections of Ground Flat Stock. A high quality tool steel, precision machined in sheffield. Once hardened, this steel has a high wear resistance that makes it idea for industrial applications such as dies, press tools, and machine knives.
The project examines possible domestic applicatons and new markets for this industrial product.
Each object follows the same logic. First the length is formed in a fly press, then twisted to create a handle. A blade is then sharpened onto one edge of the steel. Once assembled the steel is hardened and plated.
All making possible was done by myself in the workshop at Kingston University.
2 x scissors
- Starlight by Erich Remash, Jeremy Berg…lund, Don Peterson and Chad Ingle
- Tower: Instant Structure for Schacht X…II by rAndom International
- Drawstring Lamp by Design Stories and …Returhuset
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at De…sign Miami/Basel 2011
- Ex Libris by Chanan de Lange
- Bouroullec's Stampa chair designed to …age like a pair of leather boots
- Bombay Sapphire Designer Glass Competi…tion winners
- Banquet by Paula O'Connor
- Afrofuture at La Rinascente
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories