London Design Festival 09: The Tournament, a giant chess set by Spanish designer Jaime Hayón, opened in Trafalgar Square in London today.
The installation is the centrepiece of this year's London Design Festival, which officially starts tomorrow.
Hayón's chess set represents the Battle of Trafalgar, a key naval battle between the British fleet and the combined French and Spanish fleets, which took place off the Atlantic coast of Spain in 1805.
More info on this project, including text, renderings and drawings, in our earlier story.
See all our stories on London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Photos are by Susan Smart Photography.
- Clemens Weisshaar and Reed Kram design c…ar-sharing programme for Audi
- Surreal Minimalism by David Pompa
- Louis Vuitton fashion collection influen…ced by Modernist architect Charlotte Perriand
- Olafur Eliasson fills modern art museum …with "giant landscape" of rocks
- Patchwork Glass Vases by Nendo
- Tales of the Hunt: Johannes Hemann
- David Bowie is at the V&A
- Zero Gravity by Fly-Pitcher
- Mag・net・ic by Akiko Oue
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories