London Design Festival 09: The Tournament, a giant chess set by Spanish designer Jaime Hayón, opened in Trafalgar Square in London today.
The installation is the centrepiece of this year's London Design Festival, which officially starts tomorrow.
Hayón's chess set represents the Battle of Trafalgar, a key naval battle between the British fleet and the combined French and Spanish fleets, which took place off the Atlantic coast of Spain in 1805.
More info on this project, including text, renderings and drawings, in our earlier story.
See all our stories on London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Photos are by Susan Smart Photography.
- Bloated Shelf by Damien Gernay
- Johanna Schmeer imagines the future of f…ood with Bioplastic Fantastic
- Studio Vit's Cone lights are shaped like… party hats
- Greenland’s first product designer tri…ggers “explosion of new designers” in her homeland
- Evelin Kasikov at Dezeen Platform
- Doshi Levien for Moroso 2
- Manufacturing the Timber Wave by AL_A an…d Arup
- Dezeen Super Store is now open!
- Pencil-case pen and Pencil V2.0 by Yang:…Ripol
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories