London Design Festival 09: The Tournament, a giant chess set by Spanish designer Jaime Hayón, opened in Trafalgar Square in London today.
The installation is the centrepiece of this year's London Design Festival, which officially starts tomorrow.
Hayón's chess set represents the Battle of Trafalgar, a key naval battle between the British fleet and the combined French and Spanish fleets, which took place off the Atlantic coast of Spain in 1805.
More info on this project, including text, renderings and drawings, in our earlier story.
See all our stories on London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Photos are by Susan Smart Photography.
- Swing by Moradavaga
- Dezeen's style editor selects his top …five installations and products from Milan 2014
- Stair Rover by Po-Chih Lai at Show RCA… 2012
- Wank by Craig Alun Smith
- Exhibition showcasing Irish design pre…sents "a fusion between the old and the new"
- Michele De Lucchi: Architekturchen at …Ingo Maurer
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Paula Benveg…nú
- Lighting design classes at the Brandi …Institute
- Rene Siebum manipulates door handles t…o explore the sense of touch
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories