Developed from an installation in 2005 made of beer crates, the new building comprises sheltered seating areas and niches to store books.
The new building is clad in wood and materials from a former warehouse.
Photographs are by Anja Schlamann.
Here's some text from KARO:
We established in 2005 in an abandoned district center in East Germany. We started with a public intervention, using beercrates as building material.
It took some some years to organise the money to build this so called "bookmark" for real. It opened in June this year.
Beside the social aspects, the architectural kick is, that we re-used the facade of an old warehouse.
Last year, in its project-phase, it has been shown at the Venice Biennale in the German pavillon (updating Germany). An installation of it has also been shown in 2006 in the exhibition "Talking Cities" curated by Francesca Fergueson.
KARO is a platform for communication, architecture and space organisation, the members work as architects, artists, critics and jounalists, as well as teachers.
- Library in Galicia by Óscar Pedrós fea…tures an auditorium pointing up to the sky
- Iredale Pedersen Hook updates a traditio…nal Perth house with a faceted extension
- Fujitsubo by Archivision Hirotani Studio
- ARC River Culture Pavilion by Asymptote
- UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by Tho…mas Heatherwick - more images
- Lot 2, Jardins de la Lironde by Farshid …Moussavi Architecture
- Urban Nebula by Zaha Hadid
- House Y2 by Destilat
- Easehouse for Singeldingen Foundation by… Lagado Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories