Developed from an installation in 2005 made of beer crates, the new building comprises sheltered seating areas and niches to store books.
The new building is clad in wood and materials from a former warehouse.
Photographs are by Anja Schlamann.
Here's some text from KARO:
We established in 2005 in an abandoned district center in East Germany. We started with a public intervention, using beercrates as building material.
It took some some years to organise the money to build this so called "bookmark" for real. It opened in June this year.
Beside the social aspects, the architectural kick is, that we re-used the facade of an old warehouse.
Last year, in its project-phase, it has been shown at the Venice Biennale in the German pavillon (updating Germany). An installation of it has also been shown in 2006 in the exhibition "Talking Cities" curated by Francesca Fergueson.
KARO is a platform for communication, architecture and space organisation, the members work as architects, artists, critics and jounalists, as well as teachers.
- Salvaged Ring coffee house by a21studi…o is built from scrap wood
- IwamotoScott and Leong Leong wrap a Mi…ami parking garage in perforated screens
- Steel cladding frames an offset window… at Montreal house extension by Naturehumaine
- Harbin Cultural Centre by MAD
- Kodály Centre by Építész Stúdió
- Golden State Warriors arena by Snøhet…ta and AECOM
- Stöðin Roadside Stop by KRADS
- Movie: Thomas Heatherwick on designing… the UK pavilion at the Shanghai Expo 2010
- Seacliff House by Chris Elliott Archit…ects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories