Called Xmas Declarations, the project aims to draw attention to suffering in the developing world.
Here's some more information from Ctrl.Alt.Shift:
CTRL.ALT.SHIFT LAUNCHES ALTERNATIVE CHRISTMAS DECORATION
'A Dead Thoughtful Product'
Chestnuts are roasting and the halls are decked, oh ‘tis the season to be jolly… Unless, perhaps, you are one of the millions who exist silently in an often forgotten reality.
In a bid to encourage people to think beyond tinsel and Christmas cake, youth initiative Ctrl.Alt.Shift has developed a unique seasonal tree decoration: delicate glass baubles which are actually replica hand grenades.
Designed by Dorothy for Ctrl.Alt.Shift in association with Suck UK, the'Xmas Declarations' will add sparkle to any branch, whilst offering a reminder that the time of year does not bring cheer to all.
Ctrl.Alt.Shift is an experimental initiative politicising a new generation of activists for social justice and global change. Using creativity, photography, film, stories, illustrations and music, it aims to give a voice to the silent majority.
- Revelation by Karim Rashid for Bombay …Sapphire
- Rice-Design at 100% Design Tokyo
- Blue Diversion Toilet aims to improve …sanitation with built-in filtration system
- Oscar Medley-Whitfield and Harry Trimb…le at Designers in Residence 2012
- Noidoi's multifunctional Pulse daybed …combines a resting space, magazine rack and serving tray
- Coming soon: driverless trains, planes… and automobiles
- Dejection-moulding by Manuel Jouvin
- 3D-printed jewellery by Maria Jennifer… Carew clips onto garments
- Campanas for Alessi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories