Beijing studio Sunlay Design have designed a church for Ordos in Inner Mongolia, which has a plan based on the profile of a bird in flight.
Called Dove of Peace, the hilltop church will be made of concrete and incorporate a pool of water at one end of the terrace.
Apertures in the exterior walls create a play of light and shadows within.
More about Ordos on Dezeen:
Gimme Shelter by Rojkind Arquitectos
Ordos Hilton Hotel by VMX Architects
(X) for Ordos 100 by Multiplicities
Inside Out – Outside In by Rocker-Lange Architects
Villa N°14 by Dellekamp Arquitectos
Ordos 100 villa by Luca Selva Architects
Ordos villa by Estudio Barozzi Veiga
Here's some more information from Sunlay Design:
Ordos Protestant Church
Located on top of a hill of Ordos, planned as a green open space for the city, the project takes its inspiration from the topography of the land.
The surrounding landscape offers a strong contrast of colors and depth, creating a rich changing background from day time to night time for the church’s settlement.
It sets framed views of the church in a characterized landscape of excavated rocks proper to a city like Ordos, in Inner Mongolia.
The scheme, named “Dove of Peace”, gives its metaphor and poetry to the church by re-interpreting a contemporary and abstract silhouette of the bird carrying a branch of Olive in its beak.
The Church has a concrete structure and uses white crepi finish for its facades. Its dynamic shape follows the adjacent curved road that crosses the site.
The dialogue between the outside and the inside space is emphasized by the play of shadows and light that creates complexity and depth in the reading of the space. Its elements are thought to reflect harmony and tranquility in this place for prays and celebration.
Location: Ordos, China
Year of Design: 2009
Architect: Beijing Sunlay Design
Type: Public and Mixed-use
Client: Ordos City Planning Administration Bureau
- Tiger and Turtle - Magic Mountain by Hei…ke Mutter and Ulrich Genth
- Ciudad del Medio Ambiente by Modostudio,… Adhoc, Barbarela and Bestbefore architects
- Garden Unique interview: architecture an…d garden design
- Bus stops by Sou Fujimoto and Wang Shu s…hake up an Austrian village
- BMW Welt by Coop Himmelb[l]au
- Looping wooden viewing platform in China… built by students in just six days
- Dominey Pavilion by Lightroom Studio
- Constellations Bar by H Miller Bros is a… courtyard canopy made up of triangles and zigzags
- Huit House by tactic-a
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories