Chinese designer Daizi Zheng has created a conceptual mobile phone for Finnish brand Nokia that could be powered by sugary drinks. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
Zheng proposes that the phone could run on a battery that uses enzymes to generate electricity from carbohydrates.
The following text is from Daizi Zheng:
Eco-friendly phone for Nokia
This is a client project for designing an eco friendly phone for Nokia. Through out my research, I found that phone battery as a power source, it is expensive, consuming valuable resources on manufacturing, presenting a disposal problem and harmful to the environment.
The concept is using bio battery to replace the traditional battery to create a pollution free environment.
Bio battery is an ecologically friendly energy generates electricity from carbohydrates (currently sugar) and utilizes enzymes as the catalyst.
By using bio battery as the power source of the phone, it only needs a pack of sugary drink and it generates water and oxygen while the battery dies out.
Bio battery has the potential to operate three to four times longer on a single charge than conventional lithium batteries and it could be fully biodegradable.
Meanwhile, it brings a whole new perception to batteries and afternoon tea.
- B-side by Hussein Chalayan at Spring Pro…jects
- Bocci 28.280 at the V&A
- Movie: The Self-Assembly Line by Skylar …Tibbits and Arthur Olson
- Zaha Hadid furniture exhibited in New Yo…rk
- Ineke Hans designs colourful signage and… street furniture for roadside art trail
- Labware by Benjamin Hubert for Authentic…s
- Installation and crystal glasses by Maxi…m Velčovský for Lobmeyr
- Lex Pott and New Window sandblast tree r…ings to pattern furniture collection
- Monster Chair by Marcel Wanders for Mooo…i
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories