The Holmenkollen ski jump by JDS Architects has opened in Oslo, Norway.
Although the overall project is unfinished, the jump has been certified as safe and was used at an opening ceremony earlier this month and the Ski Federation World Cup Nordic last weekend.
A bar and viewing platform will be added later this year. The project is expected to be fully completed in 2011.
Images are by JDS/Julien de Smedt Architects.
The information below is from the architects:
This weekend, on the 13th and 14th of March, the International Ski Federation (FIS) World Cup Nordic will be held at Holmenkollen with over 30,000 people are expected to attend. The jump is to be held as a trial test before the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships next year in Oslo, 24th of February – 6th March 2011.
On the 3rd of February, the International Ski Federation (FIS) certified the New Holmenkollen Fyr (HS134) that the facility passed all technical and safety standards required for international ski jumping competitions.
Though the ski jump is not fully completed, plans are being met and carried through as scheduled. On the 3rd of March, Annette Sagen became the first official ski jumper to jump 106.5 meters during the opening ceremony of the Skijump, which set a new Holmenkollen jump record. From the 20 ski jumpers taking part of the opening ceremony, Rune Vetla, a local ski jumper had the longest jump at 141 meters, breaking and currently holding the record at Holmenkollen hill!
After this weekend's event, JDS Architects will continue the remaining work on the completion plans until 2011. At the end of 2010, visitors can enjoy a bar at 418 meters above sea level and get the experience of looking down the in-run like a ski jumper. At the top of the of the 69 meter inclined-cantilever tower, a 110m2 plateau will reveal an amazing view over the city of Oslo and its fjords.
- Movie by Pedro Kok: Fundació Vila Casas… museum by Jordi Badia
- UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 photog…raphed by Iñigo Bujedo Aguirre
- Geometric shapes puncture facade of Hous…e in Fukai by Horibe Associates
- Antiparos Design Properties for Oliaros
- Vacant NL by Rietveld Landscape
- Dezeen archive: black houses
- Cafe Pavilion Düren by Architekten Mart…enson und Nagel Theissen
- Volcanic stone wall hides doorway into B…25 house by PK Arkitektar
- Plantahof Auditorium by Valerio Olgiati
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories