Called The Poor Man's Gold, the collection is based on voyages made by the Dutch East India Company.
Photographs are by Frank Tielemans.
See also: Zuiderzee Settings by Kiki van Eijk, also at Ventura Lambrate
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
The following information is from the Zuiderzee Museum:
The Poor Man’s Gold
Joost van Bleiswijk based his series of four chests on the voyages of the Dutch East India Company. As a rule, these trade missions sailed from Enkhuizen, the home base of the Zuiderzee Museum. Joost van Bleiswijk gives his interpretation of this part of Dutch history. The chests refer to the battle of good and evil, prosperity and poverty, and to robbing or being robbed.
Each year the Dutch Zuiderzee Museum commissions prominent artists and designers to visualize their views of the collection, the Museum, and the history of the Zuiderzee. Through their contemporary interpretations, the story of the Zuiderzee, the battle between land and water, is retold.
In the past few years, commissions have been issued to Studio Job, Maarten Baas, Atelier Van Lieshout, Hugo Kaagman, Scholten & Baijings, Christien Meindertsma, Aldo Bakker and Zoro Feigl. Kiki van Eijk and Joost van Bleiswijk represent the promising new generation of Dutch interior design.
- Quell & Company designs iPhone dock to… be "at home in the home"
- Textile Field by Ronan & Erwan Bourou…llec
- Pieke Bergmans for Al Sabah Art & Desi…gn Collection
- SKVÍS by Siggi Eggertsson at Spark D…esign Space
- Alphabet City Lights by JDS Architects
- Bellows by Benjamin Hubert for Nava
- Biomass by Ahhaproject
- Knotted by Judith van den Boom and Sha…ron Geschiere
- One laptop per artist: OLPC charity au…ction
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories