Called The Poor Man's Gold, the collection is based on voyages made by the Dutch East India Company.
Photographs are by Frank Tielemans.
See also: Zuiderzee Settings by Kiki van Eijk, also at Ventura Lambrate
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
The following information is from the Zuiderzee Museum:
The Poor Man’s Gold
Joost van Bleiswijk based his series of four chests on the voyages of the Dutch East India Company. As a rule, these trade missions sailed from Enkhuizen, the home base of the Zuiderzee Museum. Joost van Bleiswijk gives his interpretation of this part of Dutch history. The chests refer to the battle of good and evil, prosperity and poverty, and to robbing or being robbed.
Each year the Dutch Zuiderzee Museum commissions prominent artists and designers to visualize their views of the collection, the Museum, and the history of the Zuiderzee. Through their contemporary interpretations, the story of the Zuiderzee, the battle between land and water, is retold.
In the past few years, commissions have been issued to Studio Job, Maarten Baas, Atelier Van Lieshout, Hugo Kaagman, Scholten & Baijings, Christien Meindertsma, Aldo Bakker and Zoro Feigl. Kiki van Eijk and Joost van Bleiswijk represent the promising new generation of Dutch interior design.
- ZFW watch by plusminuszero
- Mortaise by Yota Kakuda for Ligne Roset
- Black Forest by Outofstock for Ligne Ros…et
- Limited Edition Design Dolls by Olivia L…ee
- OpenKnit is an open source 3D-knitting m…achine that creates garments in just one hour
- Superheroes by Glimpt
- Jack Albert Trew designs bicycle-powered… centrifuge to enable blood testing in rural Africa
- Kanazawa World Craft Triennial 2010 Pre-…event by Nendo
- Clothing designed for chairs by Bernotat… & Co
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories