Eindhoven designer Laurens Manders has created this lumpy safe for stashing possessions with sentimental value.
Called Vault, the piece of furniture has five drawers and is made of lacquered steel with walnut legs.
The cabinet will be auctioned at Pierre Bergé & Associés next month.
Photographs are by Daphna Isaacs.
Here's some text from Manders:
Valuable worthless vault in which you can treasure your personal richness.
In this project I am trying to find out what value really is, by questioning myself which 'things' are of real value to me. I found out that for me most of it is about family, friendship and love. Things that, as much as you want, you can't really put in a safe.
Only 'things' that remind you about your value can be kept safe. This is why in the vault there are only five small drawers in which you can put photos, letters and tiny objects. Realizing that some 'objects that carry emotion' are even smaller or much larger, the vault project will be continued.
This vault's appearance is inspired by the mineral pyrite, also known as fool's gold. Because of its resemblance to gold pyrite is often mistaken to be highly valuable being actually almost worthless. This now resembles my vision on value. You can steal the vault and/or its 'valuable' contents but you will find out that it's of no value to you.
Pour les Alpes
|The Shell by
- "We're working on a suit that becomes tr…ansparent when you lie"
- Interactive slideshow: Normann Copenhage…n's latest furniture collection
- Ribbon by Shin Azumi
- Viktor & Rolf Autumn Winter 2013 scenogr…aphy by Studio Job
- Caged Message vases by Alexis Themistocl…eous
- Fold by Nendo for Conde House
- Nordpark Cable Railway by Zaha Hadid Arc…hitects
- Road Workers and White Liners by Josh Bi…telli
- Airfix-style model kits by Robert Cooper… are made from chocolate and wafer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories