Yoshihara McKee Architects of New York and Tokyo have installed a bathroom and kitchen either side of a freestanding wall in a New York loft apartment.
The bathroom has a glazed ceiling and its walls fall short of the space's double height ceiling to retain the loft's character.
The new wall shared between the kitchen and bathroom has a glazed panel that lines up with an existing window.
Here's some more from the architects:
Designed by NYC-based Yoshihara McKee Architects, this loft is an art studio and residence for parents of a well-known fashion designer.
The existing kitchen and bathroom were fully demolished.
In order to minimize the impact to the existing living room, a new kitchen wall and bathroom wall was built, that does not reach the loft ceiling.
This establishes the new addition as an object and opens into the living room.
As a result, the original spaciousness of the loft is restored.
A glass ceiling above the bathroom and a window through the new kitchen were designed in close proximity to the front of the exterior window.
This transparency allows bathing and powdering within natural daylight.
|Luisaviaroma store by Claudio Nardi Architects||Goldberger
- Forest of One Room by Naruse Inokuma
- Alma-nac renovates London apartments wit…h colourful herringbone patterns
- Sofitel Lyon Bellecour by Patrick Norgue…t
- The Shell by Maarten Baas
- Silencio by David Lynch
- Spontaneous City in the Tree of Heavenby… London Fieldworks
- EEL Nakameguro by Schemata Architecture …Office
- Second Nature at 21_21 Design Sight
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at Desi…gn Miami/Basel 2010
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories