Yoshihara McKee Architects of New York and Tokyo have installed a bathroom and kitchen either side of a freestanding wall in a New York loft apartment.
The bathroom has a glazed ceiling and its walls fall short of the space's double height ceiling to retain the loft's character.
The new wall shared between the kitchen and bathroom has a glazed panel that lines up with an existing window.
Here's some more from the architects:
Designed by NYC-based Yoshihara McKee Architects, this loft is an art studio and residence for parents of a well-known fashion designer.
The existing kitchen and bathroom were fully demolished.
In order to minimize the impact to the existing living room, a new kitchen wall and bathroom wall was built, that does not reach the loft ceiling.
This establishes the new addition as an object and opens into the living room.
As a result, the original spaciousness of the loft is restored.
A glass ceiling above the bathroom and a window through the new kitchen were designed in close proximity to the front of the exterior window.
This transparency allows bathing and powdering within natural daylight.
|Luisaviaroma store by Claudio Nardi Architects||Goldberger
- Topman personal shopping suite by Lee Br…oom
- Clare Cousins' Melbourne office is divid…ed up with colour-coordinated details
- Renovation of an apartment in Barcelona …by Carles Enrich
- Project: Office for Living by Jean Nouve…l
- David Ben-Gurion's former home renovated… by Pitsou Kedem Architects
- More images of Hadid’s Ideal House in …Cologne
- Ostel communist-style hotel in Berlin
- Inside awards: Sony Music Headquarters b…y Linda Morey Smith
- SelgasCano completes London workspace fe…aturing an orange tunnel and a "flying table"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories