Zaha Hadid Architects have unveiled this design for a performing arts centre in The Hague, the Netherlands.
The new centre would house four music and dance institutions in one building clad with horizontal louvres.
The design is one of three shortlisted proposals for the site, along with Amsterdam architects RAU and Rotterdam studio Neutelings Riedijk Architecten. The winning project will be announced in November 2010.
More about Zaha Hadid in our special category.
Here's some more information from Zaha Hadid Architects:
New Dance and Music Centre in The Hague, The Netherlands
The New Dance and Music Centre in The Hague houses four major institutions in one single envelope (the Royal Conservatory, The Netherlands Dance Theatre, the Residential Orchestra and the centre’s Guest Programming).
The design concept is developed from an understanding of the unique urban dynamics of the site, resulting in subtle volumetric gestures that invite the public domain from the plaza at ground level into the heart of the building, reinforcing the public character of the combined institutions and culminating with a gracious curving roofline that neatly nests itself within the city skyline.
In sharp contrast with the centre’s basic rectangular geometry, a fluid force field of horizontal louvers - that seemingly moves when graced by light and shadow - creates a playful language on the facade that articulates public circulation, foyers and the sculpted inner atrium, whilst at the same time allows visual connections out to the square as well as internal links between the various spaces of the project.
|Zaha Hadid and Suprematism
at Galerie Gmurzynska Zurich
|King Abdullah II House of Culture & Art by Zaha Hadid||Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum by Zaha Hadid|
- Sam Tisdall subtly recreates period deta…ils with modern Dorset Road house
- Sugamo Shinkin Bank by Emmanuelle Mourea…ux
- Tree House by Ravnikar Potokar
- Chemical Laboratory Building by Héctor …Fernández-Elorza
- dezeen launches IDF blog
- Reiulf Ramstad completes wooden church w…ith a grand spire beside a Norwegian fjord
- Floating bridge by RO&AD crosses the moa…t of a Dutch fortress
- House with Eaves and an Attic by ON desi…gn
- Immanuel Church and Parish Centre by Sau…erbruch Hutton
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories