The exhibition is to include 22 pieces installed throughout the estate, including 11 created especially for the exhibition.
The show opens 14 September and will continue until 13 December.
Here's some text from Murakami:
For Japanese, myself included, the Château de Versailles is one of the great symbols in Western history. It is emblematic of an elegance, sophistication and artistic ambition that most of us could only dream of.
We understand, of course, that the fuse that sparked the fires of revolution led right through the centre of the building.
But in many ways, it all comes across as a fantastic tale fro a kingdom far, far away. Just as the people of France might find it difficult to recreate in their minds an accurate image of the age of the Samurai, so too does the story of the palace become one that is, for us, diluted of reality.
Thus, it is this that I have tried to capture in this exhibition.
I am The Cheshire Cat who greets Alice in Wonderland with his devilish grin, and chatters on as she wanders around the Château.
With my playful smile, I invite you all to the Wonderland of Versailles.
at Design Miami
at Louis Vuitton
- Industrial metal processing techniques u…sed to create steel homeware collection
- Wall of Flame by Frederik Roijé
- Bodge Bench by Gitta Gschwendtner for th…e Stepney Green Design Collection
- Origami headgear folded to resemble myth…ological creatures
- Airfix-style model kits by Robert Cooper… are made from chocolate and wafer
- Minimal Work Station by Fredrik Paulsen
- Jeonghwa Seo experiments with form for S…tructure For Use benches
- Designed in Hackney: Costume designs for… Carbon Life by Gareth Pugh
- Per Kristian Nygård crams a grassy vall…ey into an Oslo gallery
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories