The exhibition is to include 22 pieces installed throughout the estate, including 11 created especially for the exhibition.
The show opens 14 September and will continue until 13 December.
Here's some text from Murakami:
For Japanese, myself included, the Château de Versailles is one of the great symbols in Western history. It is emblematic of an elegance, sophistication and artistic ambition that most of us could only dream of.
We understand, of course, that the fuse that sparked the fires of revolution led right through the centre of the building.
But in many ways, it all comes across as a fantastic tale fro a kingdom far, far away. Just as the people of France might find it difficult to recreate in their minds an accurate image of the age of the Samurai, so too does the story of the palace become one that is, for us, diluted of reality.
Thus, it is this that I have tried to capture in this exhibition.
I am The Cheshire Cat who greets Alice in Wonderland with his devilish grin, and chatters on as she wanders around the Château.
With my playful smile, I invite you all to the Wonderland of Versailles.
at Design Miami
at Louis Vuitton
- ALPA 12 TC camera by Estragon
- Long Low Hygiene Table and Evoluntionary… Chair by Studio Design Rafaschieri
- Grid Plank and Grid Table by Daphna Laur…ens
- L'Etreinte by Elise Gabriel
- Fossilisation machine results by Austin …Houldsworth
- Robox by Fabio Novembre
- Second Nature at 21_21 Design Sight
- Video tour of West End Design District a…t London Design Festival 2013
- Perspectives by John Pawson at St Paul's… Cathedral
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories