London design brand Hulger has launched Plumen, a product it describes as "the world's first designer low-energy light bulb". Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The sculptural light bulbs use 80% less electricity than incandescent bulbs, and last eight times longer.
The Plumen 001 was designed in collaboration with Sam Wilkinson.
See our story about the Plumen prototypes from November 2007.
Here's some information from Hulger:
THE WORLD’S FIRST DESIGNER LOW ENERGY LIGHT BULB
Plumen is the antithesis of low energy light bulbs as we know them. Rather than hide the unappealing traditional compact fluorescent light behind boring utility, Plumen 001 is a bulb you’ll want on show.
The Plumen bulb uses 80% less energy and lasts 8 times longer than incandescent bulbs, giving you the opportunity to purchase an ecological product with style. It works just like any low energy bulb but it has a lot more presence.
"It’s strange that the bulb, an object so synonymous with ideas, is almost entirely absent of imagination.”
- Nicolas Roope, Hulger co-founder and creative director
The Plumen 001 is built with beauty at its heart, glowing with the aesthetic of a sculptural object. The forms the glass tubes take are irregular yet harmonious, as the two organic shapes mirror each other to create symmetry.
The name Plumen comes from ‘plume’ - the bird’s decorative feather, designed to attract attention to its’ prowess and beauty. We believe our designs do the same for the neglected low energy light bulb.
The first Plumen concept design joined the very prestigious permanent collection at MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) in New York, while the second was featured at the Victoria and Albert museum in London.
The Plumen 001 design was developed in collaboration with designer Sam Wilkinson.
- Lifetime of 8 years
- 11 Watt (equivalent to a 60W incandescent bulb)
- 680 Lumen
- Screw Cap (E27)
- Colour Temperature 2700k (warm white light)
- Not yet available in the USA and some South American countries.
Hulger is a London based boutique electronics brand, famed for their unusual telephone designs for mobile phones, computers and iPads. The company was established in 2005 by Michael-George Hemus and Nicolas Roope.
Hulger products have been sold across the world and have enjoyed significant global media interest.
PRODUCT: PLUMEN 001 – DESIGNER LOW ENERGY LIGHT BULB
LAUNCH DATE: 9TH SEPTEMBER 2010
RETAIL PRICE: £20
AVAILABLE AT: PLUMEN.COM
DezeenTV: Plumen 001 by Huller
Can's see the movie? Click here.
- Jaime Hayón designs ceramic lights fo…r Parachilna
- 3D-printed dress for Dita Von Teese by… Michael Schmidt and Francis Bitonti
- Finger Trap handbags by James Piatt
- Campana Brothers for Artecnica
- Evelin Kasikov at Dezeen Platform
- Mattia Bonetti at David Gill Galleries
- The Bent Hands by Giha Woo and Shingoe…un
- "We use three basic 3D-printing proces…ses at Materialise"
- Peroni Collaborazioni Talks: Fabio No…vembre part 1
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories