Belgian designers Quinze & Milan have designed this chair comprising layers of leather and fabric clamped between an oak frame.
Called Second Skin, the seats are handmade with up to five layers of leather or fabric.
The information below is from Quinze & Milan:
Beautifully color-dyed leather, exchangeable fabrics by Kvadrat, and a timeless wooden framework. Say hello to our new Second Skin chair.
What makes a chair a chair? What distinguishes it from a stool, a sofa or a bench for that matter? For Second Skin, we stripped down the notorious easy chair from all unneccesary frills, until we were left with nothing but its core, the bones.
Given the deconstructed chair and keeping in mind traditional upholstering in leather, we then started playing – the result being a comfortable chair reflecting a 21st-century interpretation of time-honoured craftmanship.
A strikingly simple framework, created from massive lacquered oak, supports a generous piece of leather skin which is wedged between the back and arm rests. Each chair is constucted by hand and totally unique, due to the variety in cut-outs of big pieces of leather and the way they are draped around the framework.
The wink to fashion should be obvious, as well as the reasoning behind its name - although apart from leather, there is also the option of upholstering the chair in the desired colour of fabric Divina by Kvadrat. If desired, up to five layers of (contrasting) leather or fabric can be applied to one chair.
|Built to Resi(s)t by Quinze & Milan and Eastpak||Die Kunstbar by
Studio Arne Quinze
- Tommaso Caldera encloses Tull Lamp in a …wire cage
- RIBA Regent Street Windows Project 2014 …returns with 15 new installations
- Sparkling Chair by Marcel Wanders for Ma…gis
- Tagliente by Plasma Studio and ewo
- Necklace & clothes and Starlight by Homm…in
- GamFratesi designs leather-lined brass t…rays for Skultuna
- Ross Lovegrove designs 3D-printed gold j…ewellery
- Lightbotz by Marcus Tremonto
- Ross Lovegrove to show in New York
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories