Japanese studio Epitaph have remodelled the interior of this bungalow in Iwate, Japan, by removing internal walls and exposing the roof truss structure.
Called Mint, the 35-year-old, steel-framed building has been transformed into an open-plan home.
Exposing the roof structure creates height, opening up the space even more.
A sliding door partitions the bedroom from the rest of the space.
A strip of wooden cupboards and flooring on one side of the space provides a contrast to the predominantly white interior.
Here's a bit of text from the designers:
" mint "
This project is a reform of the house of 35 years old. This house is an one-storied house. The structure is a light gauge steel.
The owner hoped to us for removing the partition wall that became unnecessary by the change in the family structure, and making one big room.
We secured a bigger space by exposing the truss of the ceiling with the removal of the partition wall.
The finish material of the space that became one was changed according to the layout of old times.
However, neither the structure nor the window have been changed. Because we tried to tie the past of the owner and a new space.
Sunlight from the window and the light of the lighting obscure the boundary. It help the connection of time and the connection of the space.
Toilet and lavatory and bathroom and hall are walled. All other spaces are connecting but the bedroom can be partitioned with the sliding door.
Above: plan before renovation
Architect:：epitaph （naoki horiike and norihisa asanuma）
Above: plan after renovation
|Fiat Lux by
|More interior stories
- Bar Guru Bar by KLab Architecture
- Bowstring Truss House turns a warehouse …with a spectacular roof into a home
- The Richmond Weekender by Right Angle an…d Foolscap
- Aim Architecture designs "back to the fu…ture" interiors for Shanghai shopping centre
- Design High at Louise Blouin Foundation
- Tree of Life Chapel by Cerejeira Fontes
- Divers by Janina Loeve
- Union Jacks by Blacksheep for Jamie Oliv…er
- SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills by Philippe S…tarck
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories