Sjoerd Vroonland of the Netherlands has designed a collection of chairs, including this one with branches sprouting from the back-rest.
Called Revised Craft, Vroonland focuses on the functionality of the furniture and the use of different materials.
The branch chair is an interpretation of how chairs are used in various ways, for example for hanging coats and other items on.
The collection also includes a rocking chair made up of beads, a stool with a seat made of moulded leather, inspired by the bicylce seat, and a lazyboy.
Here's some more information from the designer:
For my collection I ask myself the question: is a chair purely functional? Is it a showpiece and a visual story? Or is it an expression of technical know-how and therefore representative of its era?
With this topic I deconstruct 19th and 20th century design classics and translates the craftsmanship of the pieces into new materials to develop new techniques. To generate this I use self-designed construction tools.
These ‘rulers’ are, on one hand, a construction method of the seat, on the other hand a tool to generate a continuous linear form.
As a designer I’m constantly researching on craftsmanship to innovative and integrate new materials and production techniques within the designs. My pedigree shows the total process.
The rocking chair is inspired by the history of the Thonet chair. By subjecting and utilizing the beads from different perspectives the current construction is being modernized in a contemporary way.
Revitalization can only arise when you, as a designer, research and examine craftsmanship as well as design classics and products. My collection starts with a conceptual stage where no concession is made towards comfort but only on visual design and silhouette.
At this stage I chose certain materials which allows total freedom of form. This is followed by a complete and final design where technology are demanding their share.
|Leather furniture by
- "You'll probably need an aspirin" afte…r my Design Museum show, says Paul Smith
- Theatre box-shaped shelves by Cecilie …Manz feature in Iittala's latest collection
- Insegna Anche a Me la Libertà delle R…ondini – Fabio Novembre at Rotonda di via Besana
- Blur by Philippe Malouin
- Jonah Takagi: New American Designer at… Civilian Art Projects
- Torsten Sherwood's new construction to…y "takes great inspiration from Lego"
- Sempé w103 by Inga Sempé for Wästbe…rg
- Gagosian shows more Newson pieces
- Tricom table by Shigeichiro Takeuchi f…or COMMOC
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories