Called Rubber Table, each product has five legs and an irregularly shaped top, moulded from dyed foam rubber.
imm cologne took place 18-23 January. See all our coverage of the event here »
Here are some more details from Schnur:
The drain or toilet plunger is an item, which, though it receives little attention, is actually extremely useful. Rubber Table adopts its idiosyncratic aesthetics and transfers them to a new environment. The rubber plunger has become a table leg – setting in motion a new way of looking at this ambivalent object. Manufacturing it from dyed foam rubber preserves the color and the feel of the original object.
In my projects I always attempt to negotiate with the product I am to design. I negotiate on the weighting of materials, manufacturing, appearance, meaning and function. I break down this task into its characteristics and meanings. I then analyze, assess and construct the idea.
In this, it is important to me that despite their cross-references, the products, which are often created from familiar fragments, are able to development the greatest possible degree of autonomy. In this way, they allow for associations but, beyond this, develop their own potential for becoming autonomous products.”
by Yen-Wen Tseng
|Rubber House by
Zeinstra van Gelderen
- Yusuke Seki showcases fragile hemp tex…tiles across banks of metal rods
- Solar-powered cars could become standa…rd "within 30 years"
- Pablo Benito illustrates international… clubbing meccas
- Movie: Thomas Heatherwick on his studi…o's Christmas cards
- Moody Couch by Hanna Emelie Ernsting
- Hedda Torgersen's anthropomorphic Boo …lamp to be exhibited at 100% Norway
- Tender Tub by Maren Hartveld
- Kohei Nawa's Foam installation created… a cloud-like landscape of soapy bubbles
- Oke collection by Nendo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories