This film by Gwenael Lewis for Canadian lighting brand Bocci shows the 28 series chandelier designed by Omer Arbel 28 at Gene Cafe, a local cafe in Vancouver. In the movie, the green, Christmas-themed glass chandelier is taken down and replaced by a spring-inspired version in amber, blue, turquoise, tan, grey and yellow.
The green version was then shipped to Italy and presented at Spazio Rosanna Orlandi in Milan last week during the furniture fair. See Gwenael Lewis' video about the making of Bocci's series 19 vase designed by Omer Arbel. Here's some text about the 28 series chandelier:
Designed by Omer Arbel
The 28 series is an exploration of fabrication process which is part of Arbel’s quest for specificity in manufacturing. Instead of designing form itself, the intent for the 28 series was to design a system that produces form. Arbel developed a method that has loose parameters built into it, which produces a different shape in every iteration of the fabrication procedure. Thus, every 28 made is formally different from any other in existence.
Individual 28 pendants result from a complex glass blowing technique whereby air pressure is intermittently introduced into and then removed from a glass matrix (which is intermittently heated and then rapidly cooled). The result is a distorted spherical shape with a composed collection of inner shapes, one of which is made of opaque milk glass and houses a low voltage (12V, 20W halogen/xenon) or our proprietary and replaceable 1.5W LED.
28 pendants are designed to cluster in hexagonal shapes which nestle into each other to create patterns as dictated by the needs of the interior. They may also be clustered or composed in an ambient manner similar to their distant cousins the 14’s.
Standard 28’s are made with clear glass exterior spheres and milk white interior glass cavities. Custom 28’s are possible with infinite versatility in colour compositions, sizes and shapes.
- "I brought bird cages back to the Seven …Dials area" - Dominic Wilcox
- Santos chair by Joel Escalona
- Negative Space Chess Set by Stefan Gough…erty
- Colony armchair by Skrivo mixes steam-be…nt wood and rattan
- Charlotte Perriand: designer, photograph…er, activist at the Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
- Lace Fence by Demakersvan
- ACADIA exhibits multi-material 3D-printe…d designs by Zaha Hadid, Francis Bitonti and more
- Pibal bicycle by Philippe Starck and Peu…geot
- Produzione Privata by Michele De Lucchi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories