This film by Anglo-Dutch designers Studio Glithero shows the creation of Poured Bar, a six-metre top for a temporary bar made by pouring buckets of quick-hardening material over a smooth surface.
A supportive wooden structure was then added before the whole piece was flipped to reveal the flat underside with the puddles, drips and blobs of its manufacture clearly visible. See also: Making of Blueware Vase by Studio Glithero.
Here's some text about the project from the designers:
A bar top made by pouring.
Layers of fast-hardening fluid are poured in 6 metre long runs across an immaculate surface. As the viscous material hardens, enforcements are added to brace the giant slab, the first pours becoming buried under its foundations.
At last, when it is made sturdy and rigid, the slab is flipped in one choreographed motion, revealing the smooth plane of the first poured layers, blobs, runs, drips and puddles, tracing the path of the gesture with which it was made.
The bar top, made in situ, is mounted onto a wooden structure, a temporary pop-up bar with an expressive and accidental top. Commissioned by the Corinthia Hotel, London, the temporary bar hosted several parties including the Bafta Awards and London Fashion Week events.
- Pharrell Williams and G-Star RAW transfo…rm ocean plastic into denim collection
- Movie: Jaguar clay modelling at Clerkenw…ell Design Week
- Double Dutch curated by Jane Withers
- Italo Rota designs Arts and Food exhibit…ion for Triennale di Milano
- 100% Design and Brompton Cross Design Di…strict video
- AVL Glyder by Atelier Van Lieshout for L…ensvelt
- "Timeless design is not a cliché" - Phi…lippe Starck
- Nendo's cabin baggage has a hard shell a…nd a soft front like a tortoise
- Sebastian Errazuriz creates Samurai Cabi…net from 364 moveable ribs
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories