Called Shadowboxing, the space was designed to host an exhibition of video work plus performances, lectures and discussions.
Visitors lounged on the sloping surfaces or sat on stools folded from corrugated plastic.
Slowscape Collective is a team of students at the college.
The following details are from the designers:
Shadowboxing Exhibition / Slowscape Collective
A team of postgraduate students from the Royal College of Art has designed an event installation for an exhibition at the college in London.
A team of postgraduate architecture and design students from the Royal College of Art has conceived of and built an adaptable 90 sqm event space for an exhibition featuring the work of well-known artists including Mariana Castillo Deball and Sean Dockray.
The installation, entitled Slowscape, considers the speed of visitors’ movement through the gallery and how the subtlety of built form can encourage us to pause and engage with sound and the moving image.
The paneled timber structure gently rises across the rectilinear gallery at a canted angle, folding up to form angled balustrades and a projection tower at the rear.
From this point a platform wraps around the existing columns and walls to form benches that engage otherwise overlooked areas in the open gallery space.
While the slight incline of the ramps encourages visitors to sit or lounge on the surface, 60 lightweight recyclable stools – each folded from a single cut sheet of fluted plastic – were also designed as a comfortable alternative for more formal events and longer film screenings.
The exhibition Shadowboxing finished on April 4 after a two-week period during which Slowscape played host to screenings, performances, lectures and discussions.
Designer: Slowscape Collective
Team: Stuart Franks, Christopher Kennedy, Simon Moxey, Ceri Williams, Thomas Woods
Project Area: 90 sq m
- Casalgrande Old House by Kengo Kuma an…d Associates
- Folk Clothing store by IY A Studio
- Sou Fujimoto suspends trees above Cass…ina's Milan display space
- Wellington International Airport by Wa…rren & Mahoney and Studio Pacific
- São Paulo bookstore walls are "clad w…ith books" from floor to ceiling
- Hoe Hoe Hoe at Container Ground, Tokyo
- Circular pine wall creates rooms in va…ulted basement home by Raúl Sánchez
- Roca London Gallery by Zaha Hadid Arch…itects
- Wooden screens divide TBWA/Lisbon offi…ces by ColectivArquitectura
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories