Called Container Sideboard, the design consists of a wooden plinth underneath variously sized boxes, drawer units, fold-out cabinets and filing trays.
These elements can be reconfigured as required.
The information below is from Alain Gilles:
Container Sideboard Design Alain Gilles for Casamania
Container is a modular sideboard system. As if a regular sideboard had been split into different elements, different “containers”.
It is really a research on deconstruction and reconstruction. As if a “standard” sideboard with its different storage functionalities had been split into various elements just to be reconstructed in a different, uneven manner.
A research on the architecture of a piece in order to bring forward its construction logic. In a way, a “landing dock”, the base, and a few “containers” that can be set one on top of the other... hence its name.
The work on the structure is further highlighted by the association of different materials and finishes applied to each structural element.
By playing with different types of finishes and settings several furniture pieces with their own personalities and functions can easily be created form the same original elements. Thus, it will either be seen as more a sideboard, dresser, media storage cabinet or television stand and find its way into different rooms of the house.
When several elements are combined, it behaves more like system.
228 x 60 x 89cm (W x D x H)
89.8 x 23.6 x 35 inches ( W x D x H )
Materials: base in Elm wood, containers in lacquered MDF.
- Dezeen competition: win a ride in a de…signer Flower Car in Milan
- Engineering Temporality by Tuomas Mark…unpoika Tolvanen
- dezeen's new logo
- Timber daybed by chmara.rosinke featur…es built-in privacy screens
- Designed in Hackney: the Crate Series …by Jasper Morrison
- Design London contemporary design fair
- Nike combines parts from existing trai…ners to create "SneakerBoot" mash-up
- Claesson Koivisto Rune uses two types …of wood to make stripy furniture
- The Underground Library by Keri Tan, M…ax Pilwat and Ferdi Rodriguez
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories