Non-profit organisation Assemble have constructed a temporary canal-side cinema under a London motorway flyover.
Folly for a Flyover was assembled by a team of volunteers over the course of a month, using reclaimed and donated materials.
It remains in place for six weeks, staging a series of movies and performances as part of the Create festival.
Built from bricks of clay and wood and supported by scaffolding, the structure encloses a cafe, bar and cinema stalls.
Visitors can also take trips to the nearby Olympic site aboard rowing boats and canoes that depart from a wooden jetty on the canal bank.
Photography is by Assemble.
Here are some more details from Assemble:
Folly for a Flyover
On 24th June, a building will appear in the gap between the east and westbound traffic of the A12.
Transforming the cavernous undercroft where the motorway crosses the Lea Navigation Canal, Folly for a Flyover will host a six week programme of waterside cinema, performance and play.
Hand-built with local, reclaimed and donated materials, the Folly draws influence from the surrounding red-brick buildings of Hackney Wick, posing as an imaginary piece of the area’s past, a building trapped under the motorway.
By day the folly will host a café, workshops and events and boat trips exploring the surrounding waterways.
At night there will be screenings ranging from animation classics to early and experimental cinema with live scores, light shows and performances.
Like a giant construction-kit, the folly will be built over the period of a month by a team of volunteers.
Having served one purpose it will be disassembled at the end of the summer, and the compents will find new uses across the local area.
Click above for larger image
- RIBA President's Medals Student Awards 2…008
- Raised outdoor cabins connected to Goodw…ood Residence apartments by WOHA
- Herzog & de Meuron uses rammed earth to …create countryside herb centre for Ricola
- Crescent-shaped pool skirts cylindrical …house by Fran Silvestre Arquitectos
- Moshe Safdie used "all the Lego in Montr…eal" to design Habitat 67
- Brazil's FIFA World Cup 2014 stadiums ph…otographed by Leonardo Finotti
- Festina Lente bridge by Adnan Alagić,Bo…jan Kanlić and Amila Hrustić
- Víctor de la Serna y Espina by Julio Ba…rreno
- Cassa Hotel by Enrique Norten and TEN Ar…quitectos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories