An explosion created these stools by Israeli designer Guy Mishaly.
Each Blast stool is made by detonating a charge inside a steel blank, ripping legs out of the sides so that every one is unique.
No material is lost in the explosion and each stool has the same weight before and after detonation.
Mishaly developed the project while studying at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem.
Photography is by Oded Antman.
The information below is from Guy Mishaly:
Blast - stools created by explosion
Industries develop in different regions around a quarry or readily available raw materials. The sphere of destruction is so developed in Israel that it can almost be considered a local “raw material” around which various industries and tremendous knowledge have developed.
Blast is a project in which I use this “raw material” but create objects that are disconnected from the immediate associative context and embody a new interpretation of familiar ground, while taking the explosive element and using it as a tool.
The objects start out as geometric shapes made of metal sheets that are webbed with explosive material. The explosion changes the generic shape into an object identified as having a unique character, and the effects of the explosion will always yield different objects.
The enter point to this project was how to navigate energy; creating by manipulating energy that is naturally used to harm and destroy.
Another goal was to invent a system that in the same way of use will always provide different results.
30 x 30 x 50 cm
- Lightfacet by Bloomming
- Jenny Nordberg produces hand-made furnit…ure pieces in less than five minutes
- Movie: Jaguar clay modelling at Clerkenw…ell Design Week
- Bucket Vase by Qubus Design Studio
- Snarkitecture creates warren of textile …ribbons for COS
- Misoka toothbrush cleans your teeth with… nanotech ions instead of toothpaste
- Audio Kultur prints magazines and poster…s in Armenian blood
- Bento by Form Us With Love for One Nordi…c Furniture Company
- The Bare Hair Project by Ola Giertz
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories