Zaha Hadid Architects have released new renders of a 200-metre-high commercial complex designed for Beijing.
The Wangjing Soho complex will comprise three large pebble-shaped buildings overlooking a road that leads to Beijing Capital Airport.
A three-storey retail podium will occupy the basement, ground and first floors of the buildings, while up to 37 floors of offices will be located above.
Three underground floors will provide car parking.
We recently featured Zaha Hadid's Aquatics Centre for the London 2012 Olympics on Dezeen - see all our stories about Zaha Hadid Architects here.
Here are a few more details from the architects:
The Wangjing Soho building complex is a beacon along the way to Beijing’s modern gateway, the Capital Airport, and the journey of transition to and from the city.
The project acts as a welcoming post to the city and a gesture of farewell when departing Beijing. The buildings achieve this by reading differently when transitioning in either direction, leaving distinctly different impressions on those who pass by.
Like Chinese Fans, the volumes appear to move around each other in an intricate dance, each embracing the other from a continuously changing angle. This interplay creates a vibrant architectural complex that is enhanced by an equally dynamic external skin, which continuously varies in density creating a shimmering, exciting presence.
Program: Commerical Offi ce & Retail Complex
Client: SOHO China Ltd.
Architect: Zaha Hadid Architects
Design: Zaha Hadid with Patrik Schumacher
Project Director: Satoshi Ohashi
Associate: Cristiano Ceccato
Project Manager: Raymond Lau
Project Architect: Armando Solano
Project Team: Bianca Cheung, Yu Du, Ed Gaskin, Sally Harris, Chao-Ching Wang, Feng Lin, Yikai Lin, Oliver Malm, Rashiq Muhamadali Matthew Richardson, Yichi Zhang, Yan Guangyuan, Ma Xinyue Zhang Zhe
Competition Team: Ceyhun Baskin, Inanc Eray, Chikara Inamura, Michael Grau, Hoda Nobakhati, Michal Treder, Yevgeniya Pozigun
- WISA Wooden Design Hotel by Pieta-Linda …Auttila
- Black house in Osaka by Coo Planning fea…tures a basic plywood interior
- Lascaux IV: Cave Painting Centre by Snø…hetta, Duncan Lewis and Casson Mann
- Italy's Museo della Merda is full of shi…t
- Swiss Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by …Buchner Bründler Architects
- Out There: Architecture Beyond Building …at the Venice Architecture Biennale
- MAC Belfast by Hackett Hall McKnight
- OMA unveils masterplan for community far…ming facility in Kentucky
- Copper panels give a flame-like appearan…ce to Museum of Fire in Poland
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories