She rolls and twists waste paper into a raw material, then experiments with processes and applications.
"The material can be very delicate and transparent, or equally it can be structural and strong," she explains. "This depends on the way it is processed in the initial making of the raw material and in the way it is refined in the shape-giving process."
Pieces at Dezeen Platform include pendant lamps and a folding table where the two wide legs are actually integrated vases.
Wüstenberg is a German-born designer, now working in London after her time in Finland. She graduated from the Royal College of Art this summer - see our story on her Stacking Vessels graduation project here.
Wüstenberg is not alone in tackling the huge quantities of waste paper that modern life generates: Mieke Meijer and Vij5 presented their NewspaperWood project at Ventura Lambrate in Milan this year, Debbie Wijskamp makes pulped paper into blocks then saws them up to build furniture and Jens Praet completed a similar project for Droog in 2008. Greetje van Tiem creates textiles from old newspapers and Aesop have recently launched in New York with a kiosk at Grand Central that’s made from over 1000 copies of the New York Times.
See our top ten stories about paper here.
Each day, for 30 days, a different designer will use a one metre by one metre space to exhibit their work at Dezeen Space. See the full lineup for Dezeen Platform here and see all our stories about the work on show here. We're also filming interviews with all the exhibitors - watch them on Dezeen Screen.
More about Dezeen Space here.
17 September - 16 October
54 Rivington Street,
London EC2A 3QN
- Piet side table by Hugo Passos for the S…tepney Green Design Collection
- Cover collection by Daphna Laurens
- Steam Roaster by Compeixalaigua Design S…tudio
- ICA announces major London design show
- Bombay Sapphire Designer Glass Competiti…on winners
- Studio Job designs "rock and roll" garde…n furniture for Seletti
- Quentin de Coster's Lasso light is shape…d like a torch
- Moradavaga uses spinning tin cans to tur…n a tower into an interactive billboard
- Plantation collection by Alexander Loter…sztain
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories