London designers Studiolav have declared the pencil redundant and redesigned it for life in a pencil-pot graveyard.
The Design is Dead Pencil has a cruciform shape and comes in black, of course.
Studiolav was founded by Central Saint Martins graduates Loukas Angelou and Vasso Asfi.
Here's what they say about the design:
Design is Dead Pencil by Studiolav
The pencil has become redundant and widely replaced by software and other computer based tools that form the main mediums for designers to express ideas on every stage of the design process.
STUDIOLAV is paying homage to the beloved pencils by creating its sacred symbol to be place in our little “graveyard” on our desk, the pencil holders. A reminder to the extinction of a companion to our creativity.
STUDIOLAV is a creative collaboration between Loukas Angelou and Vasso Asfi. They met while studying at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design and soon after decided to combine their diverse experience, common aesthetics and vision for design.
Through STUDIOLAV they aim to re-invent iconic yet banal designs and render them into contemporary projections of a new era in a playful, fun & sometimes ironic manner. They have worked as design consultants with clients including Habitat, Poliform, BibandSola, Vodafone, Lexmark and have collaborated with design studios such as VW+BS, Paul Cocksedge and Design Clarity.
- S+tarck with Ballantyne by Philippe Star…ck
- Fortis IQ watch by Rolf Sachs
- Ingibjörg Hanna at DesignMarch
- Liquid Tape Cutter by Kouichi Okamoto fo…r Kyouei Design
- Atelier Book Chair by Kana Nakanishi
- Candela installation creates luminous pa…tterns as it spins inside dark V&A gallery
- Spring Wood by Carolien Laro
- Coop Himmelb(l)au's Jammer Coat hides th…e wearer from Google
- 28 Series Desk Lamp by Omer Arbel for Bo…cci
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories