Dezeen Wire: Dutch architects MVRDV have received threatening emails and angry phone calls after revealing proposals for skyscrapers that resemble the exploding World Trade Centre on 9/11.
We published the project first on Dezeen, prompting outrage from many of our readers. One declared the images “insensitive and offensive” while another claimed “this is like 9/11 freeze framed”.
Above: The Cloud by MVRDV - see more images in our earlier story
In an article titled “Do These Skyscrapers Remind You Of The 9/11 Attacks?” online magazine Fast Co. Design used Dezeen’s reader comments to explain the story, while gadget blog Gizmodo Australia led a piece with the question “What The Hell Were These Architects Thinking?”
In an official statement on their Facebook page, MVRDV apologise for any upset cause and explain that they did not see the resemblance during the design process. However, Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad claims that MVRDV representative Jan Knikker admitted that they in fact did notice, fuelling the debate further.
Most recently, American magazine the New York Post have picked up the story, blasting the towers as “sick” and “a spectacular case of architectural tastelessness” and the BBC reported the story in their televised news program.
- Ring Dome by Minsuk Cho/Mass Studies
- GNRation by Carvalho Araújo
- The PAS House by Francois Perrin and Gil… Lebon Delapointe
- London architecture students design dese…rt pavilions for Burning Man festival
- s_DenK house by SoHo Architektur has a k…inked facade
- Lisbon police headquarters given monochr…ome geometric facades by Saraiva + Associados
- Prada Transformer by OMA/Rem Koolhaas
- House N by Sou Fujimoto Architects
- Jaroslavska Square by OFIS Arhitekti
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories