Dezeen Wire: Dutch architects MVRDV have received threatening emails and angry phone calls after revealing proposals for skyscrapers that resemble the exploding World Trade Centre on 9/11.
We published the project first on Dezeen, prompting outrage from many of our readers. One declared the images “insensitive and offensive” while another claimed “this is like 9/11 freeze framed”.
Above: The Cloud by MVRDV - see more images in our earlier story
In an article titled “Do These Skyscrapers Remind You Of The 9/11 Attacks?” online magazine Fast Co. Design used Dezeen’s reader comments to explain the story, while gadget blog Gizmodo Australia led a piece with the question “What The Hell Were These Architects Thinking?”
In an official statement on their Facebook page, MVRDV apologise for any upset cause and explain that they did not see the resemblance during the design process. However, Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad claims that MVRDV representative Jan Knikker admitted that they in fact did notice, fuelling the debate further.
Most recently, American magazine the New York Post have picked up the story, blasting the towers as “sick” and “a spectacular case of architectural tastelessness” and the BBC reported the story in their televised news program.
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: UNStudio
- Black Slit House by Three.Ball.Cascade
- Foster + Partners presents rippled concr…ete Expo pavilion for the United Arab Emirates
- Movie by Spirit of Space: South Pond by …Studio Gang
- Steven Holl begins construction of secon…d arts building at the University of Iowa
- Architectural Absurdities by Tom Ngo
- Set design studio in Japan by Mattch pla…ys with theatrical imagery
- Shoreditch office by Piercy & Company ha…s a restored facade and a golden behind
- Thomas Heatherwick's Bombay Sapphire dis…tillery photographed by Hufton + Crow
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories