Dezeen Wire: Dutch architects MVRDV have received threatening emails and angry phone calls after revealing proposals for skyscrapers that resemble the exploding World Trade Centre on 9/11.
We published the project first on Dezeen, prompting outrage from many of our readers. One declared the images “insensitive and offensive” while another claimed “this is like 9/11 freeze framed”.
Above: The Cloud by MVRDV - see more images in our earlier story
In an article titled “Do These Skyscrapers Remind You Of The 9/11 Attacks?” online magazine Fast Co. Design used Dezeen’s reader comments to explain the story, while gadget blog Gizmodo Australia led a piece with the question “What The Hell Were These Architects Thinking?”
In an official statement on their Facebook page, MVRDV apologise for any upset cause and explain that they did not see the resemblance during the design process. However, Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad claims that MVRDV representative Jan Knikker admitted that they in fact did notice, fuelling the debate further.
Most recently, American magazine the New York Post have picked up the story, blasting the towers as “sick” and “a spectacular case of architectural tastelessness” and the BBC reported the story in their televised news program.
- The architecture of Simón Vélez pionee…rs "new ways of using giant bamboo"
- Jardin de la Connaissance by Rodney LaTo…urelle and 100 Landschaftsarchitektur – update
- Streckhof Reloaded by Franz Architekten
- Dezeen archive: prefabricated buildings
- Villa Wallin by Erik Andersson Architect…s
- Cop15 pavilion by MAPT
- Museum of Liverpool by 3XN
- Architectural Absurdities by Tom Ngo
- Movie: Steven Holl on Daeyang Gallery an…d House
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories