Dezeen Wire: Dutch architects MVRDV have received threatening emails and angry phone calls after revealing proposals for skyscrapers that resemble the exploding World Trade Centre on 9/11.
We published the project first on Dezeen, prompting outrage from many of our readers. One declared the images “insensitive and offensive” while another claimed “this is like 9/11 freeze framed”.
Above: The Cloud by MVRDV - see more images in our earlier story
In an article titled “Do These Skyscrapers Remind You Of The 9/11 Attacks?” online magazine Fast Co. Design used Dezeen’s reader comments to explain the story, while gadget blog Gizmodo Australia led a piece with the question “What The Hell Were These Architects Thinking?”
In an official statement on their Facebook page, MVRDV apologise for any upset cause and explain that they did not see the resemblance during the design process. However, Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad claims that MVRDV representative Jan Knikker admitted that they in fact did notice, fuelling the debate further.
Most recently, American magazine the New York Post have picked up the story, blasting the towers as “sick” and “a spectacular case of architectural tastelessness” and the BBC reported the story in their televised news program.
- Balmain House by Carter Williamson Archi…tects
- Football Training Centre Soweto by RUFpr…oject
- The Termite Pavilion at Pestival
- London Thatch by James Kirk
- "Why should the poor live in slums if th…ere are empty offices in the city?" - Justin McGuirk
- "There's a very strong future for books"… - Mark Dytham on Daikanyama T-Site
- Paratelier's concrete house recycles ext…ernal formwork inside
- Bayon Artell office and warehouse by DCP…P Arquitectos
- Hotel Consolación by Camprubí i Santac…ana Arquitectes
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories