The two-storey Veterinarian N House has a square-shaped plan and is angled away from the metal screen to create four triangular courtyards in the gaps between.
One of these courtyards accommodates the entrance to the ground-floor clinic, while the second is the entrance to the apartment above and the other two provide a service area and animal garden.
Oriented strand board lines the interior walls of the building, which has a timber-framed structure.
In the apartment upstairs, a living room, bedroom, guest room and balcony surround a cluster of utilities rooms that include a kitchen.
This is the first animal hospital we've ever featured on Dezeen, but you can see more stories about animals here, including chicken homes, bird cages and fish bowls.
Photography is by Ookura Hideki.
Here's a little more text from Eureka:
Veterinarian N House
Designed by Eureka + atelier CHOCOLATE
A two story building of an animal hospital and the veterinarian's house.
We created several gardens around the building - garden for animals, backyard, garden for the dweller.
Since those gardens are narrow, we rotated the building and created trapezoidal gardens so that those gardens could be wider space.
The top/bottom edge of the metal screen at the site border changes in response to the surroundings and trims the view toward the outside of the site.
Ground floor plan
First floor plan
- Amazon Science Centre by Marks Barfield …Architects
- Souan Tea House by Toshihiko Suzuki
- Casa en el Campo by Benjamín Murúa and… Constanza Infante S
- Floating pyramid and wooden tunnel built… in the woods by Architectural Association students
- The Overlapping Land/House by Neri&Hu
- "The concept was based on a football dia…gram" - Steven Holl on Campbell Sports Centre
- Nissan Grandrive by Akihito Fumita
- Quinta Monroy by Alejandro Aravena
- ECDM Architectes extends Parisian apartm…ents with wavy balconies
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories