Innsbruck architect Daniel Fügenschuh has completed a concrete and glass extension to a school at a former monastery in Rattenberg, Tyrol.
The three-storey-high rectangular block provides new classrooms that can also be used for after-school activities, as well as a school dining room.
A large copper-framed window is the only embellishment to the street facade and frames a view out from the front of the dining room, while angled skylights bring natural light into classrooms on the top floor.
A glazed lobby connects the extension to the existing building and a first floor mezzanine provides a viewing platform into the adjacent gym block.
We've got a few interesting schools in the Dezeen archive - see them all here, including one outside Paris with walls, ceilings and details picked out in bright orange.
Photography is by Christian Flatscher.
Here's a little more explanation from Büro Fügenschuh:
Architekt Daniel Fügenschuh ZT GmbH
A 15th century monastery in Rattenberg, Tyrol was first transformed to a secondary school with a new gym extension in the early 1970ies.
To meet today’s social needs and pedagogic standards a new school extension became necessary so pupils can stay after school and get lunch.
Open plan zones will free up space to allow for alternative teaching methods.
With a modern approach of protecting architectural heritage the building opens up to the historic centre re-defining the importance of the school in the urban context of Rattenberg.
Site: Rattenberg, Österreich
Architect: Daniel Fügenschuh
Competition: 1. Platz
Client: Rattenberger Immobilien GmbH
Mechanical engineer: TAP
Structural engineer: INGENA
Floor space: 250 m²
- Herzog & de Meuron is "deconstructing st…upid architecture" in Miami
- Five houses by Carlos Ciravegna cantilev…er out from a rocky hillside in Argentina
- Zaha Hadid blog update
- Wilkinson Eyre's cooled conservatories a…t Gardens by the Bay are "about having fun"
- EDP Foundation Cultural Centre by AL_A
- Qatar Petroleum grounds by Martha Schwar…tz Partners
- Rural Slovenian cottage by Dekleva Grego…rič has walls of stone set into concrete
- Redevelopment of University Hospital of …Santa Chiara, Pisa, by David Chipperfield Architects
- House at Wategos Beach by Mackay + Partn…ers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories