Innsbruck architect Daniel Fügenschuh has completed a concrete and glass extension to a school at a former monastery in Rattenberg, Tyrol.
The three-storey-high rectangular block provides new classrooms that can also be used for after-school activities, as well as a school dining room.
A large copper-framed window is the only embellishment to the street facade and frames a view out from the front of the dining room, while angled skylights bring natural light into classrooms on the top floor.
A glazed lobby connects the extension to the existing building and a first floor mezzanine provides a viewing platform into the adjacent gym block.
We've got a few interesting schools in the Dezeen archive - see them all here, including one outside Paris with walls, ceilings and details picked out in bright orange.
Photography is by Christian Flatscher.
Here's a little more explanation from Büro Fügenschuh:
Architekt Daniel Fügenschuh ZT GmbH
A 15th century monastery in Rattenberg, Tyrol was first transformed to a secondary school with a new gym extension in the early 1970ies.
To meet today’s social needs and pedagogic standards a new school extension became necessary so pupils can stay after school and get lunch.
Open plan zones will free up space to allow for alternative teaching methods.
With a modern approach of protecting architectural heritage the building opens up to the historic centre re-defining the importance of the school in the urban context of Rattenberg.
Site: Rattenberg, Österreich
Architect: Daniel Fügenschuh
Competition: 1. Platz
Client: Rattenberger Immobilien GmbH
Mechanical engineer: TAP
Structural engineer: INGENA
Floor space: 250 m²
- Esterházy Etyeki Kúria Winery with… gabled rooftops by Bord Architectural Studio
- Criss-crossing bricks give a perforate…d facade to mountainside building by Li Xiaodong
- Rehabilitation of the City Walls of Lo…groño by Pesquera Ulargui Arquitectos
- Joanneum Museum extension by Nieto Sob…ejano Arquitectos and eep architekten
- Sonnenhof by J Mayer H
- SeaCity Museum by Wilkinson Eyre Archi…tects
- Hamburg Science Centre by OMA
- Takanobu Kishimoto's Platform is a hom…e built around a train carriage
- Pedregal Shopping Centre by Pascal Arq…uitectos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories