First exhibited at Carpenter’s Royal College of Art graduation show in 2001, the iconic urban souvenir was put into production in the UK the following year by Thorsten Van Elten, who's based in neighbouring Tower Hamlets and still stocks the lamp on his online shop.
It's now a best-seller in museums and design shops around the world.
Carpenter co-founded a studio with classmate André Klauser after a few collaborations and they work under the name Klauser & Carpenter on Hackney Road.
They're both partners in local design and production company Very Good & Proper, who make almost all their products in their Hackney workshop.
Designed in Hackney map:
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Oxymoron Desk by Anna Lotova stores st…ationery between cushioned layers
- Twenty-First Century Design by Marcus …Fairs
- Slybox by Keiji Ashizawa
- AMO simulates an infinite catwalk for …Prada menswear show
- Philippe Starck at Driade
- Extra ID by Anke Weiss
- Fondue Slippers by Satsuki Ohata melt …and mould to the shape of your foot
- Made in Japan by Antrepo
- Richard Meier for Pierre Junod
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories