The living room of this apartment renovated by Portuguese architect Tiago Filipe Santos opens onto a tiered courtyard garden.
Named Arroios Apartment, the residence occupies a long narrow space on the ground floor of a typical Lisbon apartment block.
Behind the living room, open doorways lead through to a dining room and kitchen behind, while bedrooms are arranged in a row beyond.
The white walls that enclose the courtyard match those inside the apartment, creating the impression that this external space is just another room.
Photography is by Invisible Gentleman.
Here's a short description of the project sent by the photographer:
14| arroios apartment
The apartment is part of a typical Lisbon old building.
It’s long proportion produces a set of spaces on which the presence of natural light is the main challenge.
The apartment is refurbished having the courtyard/garden as a central area that is totally open to the living room and adjacent spaces.
The courtyard is the main source of natural light for the apartment.
The continuity and flow between the common spaces of the apartment (living room, dining room and kitchen) is clearly felt by the absence of doors be- tween these spaces.
Transitions are felt by in-built furniture or by the memory of ancient doors.
The 3 bedrooms are redesigned and functionally more adequate to modern needs. The master bedroom becomes a suite with the private bathroom and the in-built closet.
CLOSETS AND MULTIPLE STORAGE AREAS
Closets and unexpected areas of storage are in-built as a solution that optimizes space and takes close attention to every “dead” area in the apartment.
New windows area brought in to improve the acoustic and thermal conditions of the apartment.
In-built natural gas heating system improves the thermal efficiency of the apartment.
EXTERIOR NATURAL WOOD DECK
The exterior natural wood deck is the perfect place for long afternoons and late evenings with friends and family.
The remaining area of the courtyard is open to be used for a green lawn or blue pool.
Architect: Tiago Filipe Santos
Localization: Arroios, Lisbon Portugal
Built area: 90 sqm
Garden area: 45 sqm
- Monochrome apartment by Maciej Kurkowski… and Maciej Sutuła features conference spaces
- AOC adds wall-hung bicycles and basket-w…eave flooring to London townhouse
- Sous les Cerisiers by Ralston & Bau
- Alberta Ferretti via Montenapoleone by …Sybarite
- Wooden strips coil around staircase at S…trasbourg hotel by Jouin Manku
- Nike Air Force 1 Store by Torafu Archite…cts
- Sergi Pons uncovers stonework and ceilin…g vaults in renovated Barcelona apartment
- Fiat Lux by Label Architecture
- Ippolito Fleitz Group installs metal tre…es in natural foods restaurant
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories