Designed in Hackney: our pick of design talent in the London borough of Hackney today is East London Furniture, a company that makes all its products from scrap materials found in the local area surrounding its shop on Hoxton Street.
Dezeen first discovered East London Furniture when we were based in nearby Rivington Street for Dezeen Space.
Everything is reclaimed and recycled in the workshop at the back, then displayed and sold in the shop at the front.
Products include benches, lighting, stools and accessories, displayed on the website alongside a record of who made each piece and on what date.
Going beyond the normal reclaimed timber yards, all materials used are salvaged from waste so that most materials used in the products have been diverted from landfill.
East London Furniture was founded in 2011 and is run by Ben Green, Reuben Le Prevost and Christian Dillon. Since forming they have worked in a series of empty shops around east London on short-term, "meanwhile" leases.
"So as well as materials we also upcycle property," says Dillon.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- The Empty Chair by Maarten Baas for Amne…sty International
- Alberto Biagetti and Laura Baldassari up…holster gym equipment with fur and leather
- Doomsday by Kacey Wong
- Crave's USB-chargeable vibrator doubles …as a pendant necklace
- Carafe and glass by Mathieu Lehanneur fo…r Ricard
- "We have created a new type of water" - …Philippe Starck
- Gridlock by Philippe Malouin
- BlackBerry aims to end "hilarious misspe…lled messages"
- Microbes are "the factories of the futur…e"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories