Designed in Hackney: today's featured designers in our London borough of Hackney showcase are Archer Architects, who inserted a Corten steel-clad hotel behind the facade of a derelict pub in Shoreditch.
The 26-room boutique hotel is part of the Shoreditch House private members club, located on Ebor Street just outside the southwest corner of the borough.
Completed in 2012, the Corten steel extension adds an extra three storeys onto the roof of the old pub to bring the height of the building up to match that of its neighbours.
Guests enter the hotel through a ground floor reception that leads to rooms upstairs as well as to a garden on the roof.
The renovated building also includes a day spa called the Cowshed, which occupies the old bar area and the basement.
Archer Architects comprises a team of architects and designers, led by director Stephen Archer. Their studios are located in the Tea Building on the corner of Shoreditch High Street and Bethnal Green Road, almost next door to this project.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
Photography is by Tim Soar.
- New images of Manned Cloud by Jean-Marie… Massaud
- Fortress of Franzensfeste by Markus Sche…rer and Walter Dietl
- Bishop Edward King Chapel by Niall McLau…ghlin Architects
- Superkilen by Bjarke Ingels Group
- More images of Polish pavilion for Expo …2010
- Garden studio by Serge Schoemaker has a …dark, rough exterior and a light-filled interior
- Renovated Japanese barn contains home an…d office by Kichi Architectural Design
- Faustino Winery by Foster + Partners
- NL Architects win Groninger Forum
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories