Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- Ettore Sottsass: A Survey, 1992 – 2007… at Friedman Benda
- Telling Tales at Ligne Roset Westend
- MYchair by UNStudio
- Aria and Avia lamps by Zaha Hadid for Sl…amp
- Diversity by Nacho Carbonell
- Custhom launches digitally embroidered w…allpaper
- Orishiki Spectacle Case by Naoki Kawamot…o
- Dream music video by Cauboyz
- Plato's Collection by Amila Hrustić
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories