Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- B Bench by Konstantin Grcic for BD Bar…celona Design
- Hacker by Michael Young at Dezeen Watc…h Store
- Poles Apart by Adrian Bergman
- Max Frommeld and Arno Mathies create a… folding sled
- Heinola Reading Lamps by Vesa Honkonen
- Kate Moross applies "psychedelia" to W…ild Beasts music video
- Transformations by Tjep.
- Lava combines western and eastern symb…ols to create "universal" icons
- Fade chandelier by Zaha Hadid for Swar…ovski
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories