Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- Pots by Benjamin Hubert for Menu
- Loveseat by Jake Phipps
- Helsinki Design Museum exhibition celebr…ates "Finland's second designer"
- Villa Julia by Javier Mariscal for Magis
- NewspaperWood by Mieke Meijer and Vij5
- Nendo's Float stool for Moroso looks imp…ossible
- RCA Fashion 2013 collection by Xiao Li
- Rainbow Church by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Ross Lovegrove for VitrA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories