Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- Virgin Galactic unveils SpaceShipTwo
- slim&strong by Delphine Frey
- Wonderlamp by Studio Job and Pieke Bergm…ans for Dilmos
- Antenna Lights by Adrien Rovero
- Hotel Taj Mahal by Constantin and Lauren…e Leon Boym
- Dissecting the Dandy by Form Us With Lov…e
- More new photos of Vitra Edition
- Live from the Design Museum
- Floatastic by Qastic
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories