Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- Perspectives mirrors by Studio Atùppert…ù bounce light between reflective layers
- Chest of Suitcases by Maarten de Ceulaer
- Pi Watch by Ben McCarthy for Workshopped
- Magnetic Fields by Studio Tord Boontje
- Grand by Monica Förster for Offecct
- Lomme bed by Cycle 13
- Origami Sofa by Yumi Yoshida unfolds to …become a floor mat
- The Plain Collection by Maarten Baas
- Juxtapose by Gluejeans for Droog
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories