Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- SpaceShipTwo by Virgin Galactic
- Tesla by Kranen/Gille
- Designed in Hackney: Pottery by Ian Mc…Intyre for Another Country
- TMA-1 By KiBiSi for AIAIAI
- Ostrich Pillow by Kawamura-Ganjavian
- Flash Factory by Tom Dixon
- Laura Jungmann and Cornelius Réer "up…cycle" glassware into new objects
- Perch chair by Bradley Ferrada
- B Bench by Konstantin Grcic for BD Bar…celona Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories