Milan 2012: this lamp by Swedish designers Front blows a bubble every few seconds to form a transparent shade round an LED.
Over the 50,000-hour life of the bulb the lamp will blow over three million bubble shades.
Here's some more information from Front:
Surface Tension Lamp
A bubble is brief, and bursts at your touch. But while it lasts, it catches the light and reflects the room like a multi-coloured temporary structure. We wanted to create a constantly changing lamp that combines the most ephemeral of lampshade with an LED light source that will last for 50 000 hours. In the time it takes the LED to burn out, the lamp will have had 3 million different globe shades.
- Neri&Hu's Das Haus installation is desig…ned to "unsettle people"
- Famous modernist chair shapes merged int…o a bar stool by Eugeni Quitllet
- Pappa TARAHUMARA Punk Don Quixote by Tor…afu Architects
- SuperDesign at Victoria House, London
- Nendo twists traditional details to enli…ven simple white shirts
- Bouroullec brothers to launch first fabr…ic collection in Milan for Kvadrat
- Charlotte Perriand: designer, photograph…er, activist at the Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
- Losanges by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
- Folding Stool by Jack Smith
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories