Milan studio AtelierFORTE have built a sauna in the northern Italian countryside that has wings like a bird.
Inspired by the Norse myth of raven messengers Huginn and Muninn, the structure is also raised above the ground on wooden legs.
A ladder leads up to two people at a time inside the sauna, while portholes frame views out across the surrounding landscape.
Here's some more information from AtelierFORTE:
AtelierFORTE is glad to present the sauna Huginn&Muninn, inspired by the two ravens of Odin. The sauna, built in fir wood, accommodates two people. As the Scandinavian tradition it is powered by a wood stove.
The portholes on the walls, in this case, give an impressive view of hills around Piacenza, Italy.
From the project by Duilio Forte, Huginn&Muninn is built entirely by hand. AtelierFORTE manufactures outdoor saunas since 1994, and every sauna is unique, designed and created ad hoc.
Hugin and Muninn mean "thought" and "memory". Those are the names of the two ravens of Odin. Every day he sends them flying over all the earth, and they come back and tell him everything they have seen and heard.
- Rødovre Skyscraper by MVRDV and ADEPT
- Civic Sports Center and 2013 National Ga…mes Arena by Emergent
- Apartment in Kamitakada by Takeshi Yamag…ata Architects
- LandyM by andOFFICE
- London Without Bees by Ben Kirk
- Inside Out – Outside In by Rocker-Lang…e Architects
- Holmenkollen ski jump by JDS Architects …opens
- Maggie’s Nottingham by CZWG and Paul S…mith photographed by Michael Whelan
- Movie: Jacques Herzog at the Serpentine …Gallery Pavilion
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories