Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Patricia Urquiola's Luna cabinet conceal…s items behind pivoting doors
- Dalston Rose by House of Hackney
- Vote for your favourite design in the Bo…mbay Sapphire Designer Glass Competition
- Interview: BarberOsgerby on designing th…e Olympic Torch
- Happy Pills by Fabio Novembre for Venini
- Field Dressing by Sruli Recht
- Glamour Factory by Studio Job and Viktor… & Rolf
- Plastic Relics by Committee for Cibone E…ditions
- SWAS tent by Tie Fan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories