Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Cabbage Chair by Nendo
- Dezeen Platform: Jan Rose
- Wonder Wall at Selfridges
- Eat Drink Design at Dutch Design Week
- LunaTik at Dezeen Watch Store in New …York
- Flyknit running footwear by Nike
- Nendo designs ice cream Village cake f…or Häagen-Dazs
- Studio 7.5 designs foam "hackable" off…ice system for Herman Miller
- Jaime Hayón at Spazio Rossana Orlandi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories