Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Cloud Installation by Mason Studio
- Dynamic Life by Matali Crasset for Campe…ggi
- Free space for light designers at Tent L…ondon
- Plain Lighting and Rock Vase by Jin Kura…moto
- Martyna Barbara Golik translates tastes …into textiles
- Stone Blind and Qanah by Sruli Recht
- Droog to show everything at Design Post
- Between Lines by WokMedia
- Architrave by Lee Broom for Heal's
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories