Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Mondaine pocketwatch and ladies' timepie…ce arrive at Dezeen Watch Store
- Ferry Terminal by CF Møller
- SuperFoam Chair by Rich Gilbert
- Ammonite by Noé Duchaufour-Lawrance for… Meta
- Topographic London posters by Melissa Pr…ice at Dezeen Super Store
- Sling Back by Quirky
- Crudo by Barbara Busatta, Dario Buzzini,… Robin Bigio, Martin Meier and Oliviero Zanon
- Pipe Light by Triptyque
- Patricia Urquiola's Luna cabinet conceal…s items behind pivoting doors
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories