Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Antibodies by the Campana Brothersat Vit…ra Design Museum 2
- Alta One bike by Frost Produkt, Norway S…ays and Bleed
- Axis tray by Snack On
- Watch the design evolution of the bicycl…e in a one-minute animation
- Handmade Mass Production by Folkform
- Austerity edible furniture by Lanzavecch…ia + Wai
- Gigi Barker's skin-covered seats are inf…used with bodily scents
- Out of the Woods at the V&A museum
- Interview: Tai Ping collection by Andre… Fu
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories