Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about redesigning the iconic red double-decker bus for London in this interview filmed by Dezeen at the preview of Heatherwick Studio: Designing the Extraordinary at the V&A museum in London.
Above photo is by Iwan Baan
In the movie, Heatherwick describes why a second staircase and third door can help the busses stick to a timetable and reveals the best way to disguise traces of kebab smeared on a seat.
The first of the new buses went into service in February, causing a stir with the return of a hop-on-hop-off platform at the back and bands of glass swooping round two stairwells.
Photographs are copyright Heatherwick Studio unless otherwise stated.
- Shoreditch House by Tom Dixon
- Plicate by Benjamin Hubert for NAVA
- Austrians protest government spending wi…th concrete model city
- Inception dish rack shaped like Manhatta…n by Luca Nichetto launches in New York
- Natural Speakers by Joon&Jung
- Sebastian Bergne folds metal sheet into …a letter holder
- Clothes stand with Y-shaped coat hangers… by Mifune Design Studio
- Meta at Design Miami
- Selfish & Devoted by Deger Cengiz
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories