There are also plungers combined with ornately turned handles or a walking stick, and more walking sticks with rubber wedges at the bottom to form door stops.
Pieces of plastic bottles have been used to cast concrete fittings for pendant lamps and the cord of a coordinating desk lamp is held in place by notches in a counterbalanced wooden frame.
Here are a couple of lines of explanation from Coffin:
I'm a recent graduate from the Furniture Design department at The Rhode Island School of Design and in the past semester, I completed a body of work titled Familiar/Foreign: Using Recognizable Components To Establish Comfort in New Forms.
The work focuses on object familiarity, and the way we process archetypal vs. foreign forms.
- Living Wood by Matali Crasset
- Camerino Collection by Brose~Fogale
- Grandmateria at Gallery Libby Sellers 2
- Authentic Wood by Le Corbusier at Cassin…a
- Alternative Olympic posters by Sarah Hyn…dman
- Musterzimmer at Depot Basel
- MU Cutlery by Toyo Ito for Alessi
- Coffee tables by Ding3000 for Normann Co…penhagen
- Cloud Walk Chandelier by Yu Jordy Fu
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories