There are also plungers combined with ornately turned handles or a walking stick, and more walking sticks with rubber wedges at the bottom to form door stops.
Pieces of plastic bottles have been used to cast concrete fittings for pendant lamps and the cord of a coordinating desk lamp is held in place by notches in a counterbalanced wooden frame.
Here are a couple of lines of explanation from Coffin:
I'm a recent graduate from the Furniture Design department at The Rhode Island School of Design and in the past semester, I completed a body of work titled Familiar/Foreign: Using Recognizable Components To Establish Comfort in New Forms.
The work focuses on object familiarity, and the way we process archetypal vs. foreign forms.
- Hella Jongerius for Vitra
- Jack Albert Trew designs bicycle-powered… centrifuge to enable blood testing in rural Africa
- Design Academy Eindhoven Graduation Gall…eries 2008
- Fifti-fifti's Spring simplifies the ward…robe into a wall-mounted clothes rail
- Deskbox by Raw Edges for Arco
- CMYK bulb by Dennis Parren
- Toge by Emmanuelle Moureaux
- West End Design Quarter "promotes design… in the heart of central London"
- Plicate by Benjamin Hubert for NAVA
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories