There are also plungers combined with ornately turned handles or a walking stick, and more walking sticks with rubber wedges at the bottom to form door stops.
Pieces of plastic bottles have been used to cast concrete fittings for pendant lamps and the cord of a coordinating desk lamp is held in place by notches in a counterbalanced wooden frame.
Here are a couple of lines of explanation from Coffin:
I'm a recent graduate from the Furniture Design department at The Rhode Island School of Design and in the past semester, I completed a body of work titled Familiar/Foreign: Using Recognizable Components To Establish Comfort in New Forms.
The work focuses on object familiarity, and the way we process archetypal vs. foreign forms.
- Thorn by Iris van Herpen and United Nu…de
- Torsten Sherwood launches Shaker-influ…enced furniture collection
- Studio WM aims to stimulate the senses… with accessories collection
- Light Jars by Kristine Five Melvær
- Change the Record by Paul Cocksedge
- Paralympic design: adaptive sailing eq…uipment
- 100% Inspiration: Andy Martin
- Nendo shifts shelves and surfaces for …Slide glass furniture
- Studio Job interprets famous buildings… with "whacked and expressive" Landmark series
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories