There are also plungers combined with ornately turned handles or a walking stick, and more walking sticks with rubber wedges at the bottom to form door stops.
Pieces of plastic bottles have been used to cast concrete fittings for pendant lamps and the cord of a coordinating desk lamp is held in place by notches in a counterbalanced wooden frame.
Here are a couple of lines of explanation from Coffin:
I'm a recent graduate from the Furniture Design department at The Rhode Island School of Design and in the past semester, I completed a body of work titled Familiar/Foreign: Using Recognizable Components To Establish Comfort in New Forms.
The work focuses on object familiarity, and the way we process archetypal vs. foreign forms.
- Coquille Sofa by Markus Johansson resemb…les the curved form of a shell
- Big Jambox by Yves Behar for Jawbone at …Dezeen Super Store
- Z.BOX by Zaha Hadid
- The Average Font combines hundreds of ch…aracters into a single typeface
- V01 LED now available at Dezeen Watch St…ore
- Clocks, timers and thermometers by plusm…inuszero
- Scholten & Baijings exhibit retrospectiv…e at Villa Noailles
- "Everyone will be interested in making t…hings instead of buying things" - Janne Kyttanen
- The Trestle by Bénédicte de Lescure fo…r La Corbeille
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories