Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about his top-secret design for the cauldron that will hold the London 2012 Olympic flame in this interview filmed at his ongoing exhibition at the V&A museum in London. Update: this interview is featured in Dezeen Book of Interviews, which is on sale now for £12.
In the movie Heatherwick explains how Olympic organisers have tried to escape the shadow of Beijing's spectacular opening ceremony in 2008 by focusing on London's reputation for ideas. Plans for the opening ceremony directed by filmmaker Danny Boyle were unveiled this week and will include 70 sheep, 12 horses, 10 chickens, three sheepdogs and a village cricket team to evoke Britain's bucolic past.
An exhibit on the Olympic cauldron will be added to the V&A show after the opening ceremony on 27 July 2012.
Photograph is by Elena Heatherwick.
- Shelframe by Bahbak Hashemi-Nezhad
- Bidoun series by Katrin Greiling for T…raffic
- "The pieces wouldn't be anything witho…ut the people who interact with them" – Jason Bruges
- Studio Libertiny at Droog
- Neri&Hu for De La Espada
- Radiant Lines by Asif Khan creates rin…gs of light in Melbourne's Federation Square
- Keel series by Oscar Narud
- Autographer camera by OMG Life with Ch…auhan Studio
- Movie: Collective Works by Mischer'Tra…xler at Clerkenwell Design Week
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories