Movie: Thomas Heatherwick talks to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about his top-secret design for the cauldron that will hold the London 2012 Olympic flame in this interview filmed at his ongoing exhibition at the V&A museum in London. Update: this interview is featured in Dezeen Book of Interviews, which is on sale now for £12.
In the movie Heatherwick explains how Olympic organisers have tried to escape the shadow of Beijing's spectacular opening ceremony in 2008 by focusing on London's reputation for ideas. Plans for the opening ceremony directed by filmmaker Danny Boyle were unveiled this week and will include 70 sheep, 12 horses, 10 chickens, three sheepdogs and a village cricket team to evoke Britain's bucolic past.
An exhibit on the Olympic cauldron will be added to the V&A show after the opening ceremony on 27 July 2012.
Photograph is by Elena Heatherwick.
- Iconograph by Werner Aisslinger: special… Christmas edition at Dezeen Watch Store
- Container lamp by Benjamin Hubert for Li…gne Roset
- SCP 2011 Collection at Maison&Objet 2011
- Fan Table by Mauricio Affonso at Ventura… Lambrate
- Outofstock's Flag cabinet conceals and d…isplays small objects
- Pila and Pilo by Ronan & Erwan Bouroulle…cfor Magis
- The Underground Library by Keri Tan, Max… Pilwat and Ferdi Rodriguez
- Solar Shade by Buro North
- Movie: Julian Hakes on the Mojito shoe w…ith no footplate
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories