Tourists to a remote Swedish island will soon be able to abandon the hotel rooms of a luxury resort to sleep inside triangular huts on a deserted beach.
Designed by Stockholm architects Jagnefalt Milton, each Black Lodge will have wooden walls that fold open so that guests can open the room out to the elements as much or as little as they prefer.
The only furniture inside will be wooden boards, which can be used as tables, beds or benches, plus stools.
The huts will be constructed from pine, sourced from the surrounding woodland.
Any residents that change their minds about sleeping out amongst nature or need to use a bathroom in the night will easily be able to walk back to the hotel, which is located in a former limestone quarry nearby.
The architects plan to build the first prototype this summer.
Jägnefält Milton previously designed buildings that roll through a city on railway tracks - see them here.
Here's a few more details from the architects:
The basic idea is to complement a luxury resort (situated in an old quarry) with small reclusive huts placed in the nearby forest, close to a deserted beach.
Considering all the luxury amenities in the resort, we wanted this to be something completely different. The hut is made of pine trees cut in the same forest as it is standing in. It's built in an old Swedish timber frame technique and warmed by a cast iron stove.
The only furniture besides a stool, is a wooden board that can act both as a table, a bench and a bed. All four walls can be opened into the grass creating more of a camp fire situation where you can watch the stars and moon through the oculus. We were able to stretch the simplicity of the project knowing we had all the amenities nearby.
- House of Inclusion by FORM/Kouichi Kimur…a Architects
- Lightwell House by Kimizuka Architects
- Multimedia Centre in Armentières by Bé…al & Blanckaert
- Herbs and hops to grow over France's pav…ilion for Milan Expo 2015
- Black brick house in the woods by Takero… Shimazaki and Charlie Luxton
- Snøhetta reveals sinuous hotel for a No…rwegian island
- House in Chiba by Yuji Kimura hides a ga…rage and balcony behind its walls
- Sustainable house on the Geul by Upfrnt …and Zwarthout
- Vincent Guallart for Expo 2012 Wroclaw
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories