In the movie, two female dancers wear the translucent silk garments, which are printed with photos of men and women of various ages and appearances.
As the dancers move and reveal glimpses of their own bodies and faces, it's hard to tell where one person ends and the other begins.
Van der Haak also created a flipbook on a stand that blurs old and young faces.
Here's some more information from the designer:
Beyond the Body
A perception of appearance and identity
My work focuses on altering the human form by affecting its figure with just one simple intervention. Photos of the human body are printed onto translucent silk which will create the possibility of physically layering different bodies, ages, generations and identities.
In a dance performance, the moving body manipulates the fabric so the body and the silk become one, distorting our perception or revealing a completely new physical form. The movement then brings this to life.
Beyond the Body brings into being an ambiguous image that intrigues, astonishes or sometimes even disturbs.
Imme van der Haak was born and raised in Arnhem, the Netherlands. Imme went on to graduate in 2010 from Artez, the academy of arts in the same city. Following this, she moved to London to begin studying a master in Product Design at London’s reputable Royal College of Art where she graduated in June 2012.
Imme’s work is playful, yet subtle in its approach. She constantly strives to question and challenge our perception of what is ‘normal’, focusing on the everyday, which we might take for granted.
- Drinkable Book combines sanitation manua…l and filters for contaminated water
- Foldboat by Max Frommeld and Arno Mathie…s
- Smári McCarthy at Me Craft/You Industry
- Waar is Ekko? combined posters and signa…ge for a music festival by Kok Pistolet
- "New Yorkers all of a sudden are interes…ted in quality of life"
- Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Poster by Sarah… Hyndman
- The Changing Room by UNStudio
- Dezeen Watch Store pop-up at designjunct…ion
- Stian Korntved Ruud is hand carving a wo…oden spoon every day for a year
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories