Ratsma and Spaho used the shape of a bird's cranium for the front of the shoe, with the tapered beak as the spike of the heel.
The lightweight and efficient structure of the hollow skull allowed the shoe to be 3D-printed using less material.
Other 3D-printed shoes we've featured on Dezeen include 'invisible' and mirrored designs by Andreia Chaves and a bespoke pair by Marloes ten Bhömer.
Photography by Thomas van Schaik.
Here's some more information from the designer:
The Biomimicry shoe is the result of a unique collaboration between Dutch fashion designer Marieka Ratsma and American architect Kostika Spaho. The idea for this shoe highlights the aesthetics and the shape of the bird skull, along with the characteristics of the lightweight and highly differentiated bone structure within the cranium. Such structure requires less support material, resulting in optimal efficiency, strength and elegance. Nature has been the main source of inspiration for the making and shaping of this shoe.
By looking at nature in a different way, she can open our eyes to ingenious systems and ways of life. Nature can inspire us towards inventive designs and productive, successful collaborations. Also for fashion, nature can be a great inspiration, especially for the use of materials and smarter constructions. Fast developing techniques such as 3D printing can help us by giving the possibility to approach nature’s shapes even more closely. Nature functions as no other in the use of sources, collaborations and bundling forces. The insight that nature gives us can be used for a new way of approaching design.
- BN0111 by Braun at Dezeen Watch Store
- Squishy silicone keys control pitch and …volume on ROLI's musical Seaboard
- Download issues four to eight of experim…ental Milan newspaper FOMO
- Souviens toi que tu vas mourir by Pool a…t Nouvelle Vague
- Bureau Nota by Elisabeth Lux for e15
- Ground Barware by Michael Antrobus
- Hyde Candlesticks by Pete Oyler for Asse…mbly
- DTILE by Peter van der Jagt, Erik Jan Kw…akkel and Arnout Visser
- //Slash sofa by Adrien Rovero for Campeg…gi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories